iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best pocket knife to carry and why?

Started by btulloh, August 07, 2017, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

i carry two
first is a Gerber
http://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/One-Hand-Opening/MP600_47563
saw blade is replaceable with a jigsaw blade, just has to be the style that has the hole

the second is a Swiss army
Victorinox rostfrei
"let the machines do the work"

woodmaker

Leatherman super tool,leatherman rebar: I love them all.I have 2 or 3 rebars ( i set one down while working on something,miss it the next day,so pick up another until I get to go back for the first one). I use mine several times a day,and feel almost naked without it 8
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

JB Griffin

Currently I carry a Bear and Sons mini trapper but only because I can't find my Remington bullet trapper. One of my favorites is a Case full size trapper in amber jigged bone and carbon steel. I HATE most stainless steels.
Quote from: drobertson on August 07, 2017, 07:00:10 PM
I like the thin ones, kershaw being a favorite, but like many shown, the pocket clip on oriented on the wrong end, like shown, if they don't close and its sharp as they should be, a poke is near by.  Now, the one MM showed is the first I've seen with the pocket clip on the correct end.. this one I'm sure is a good and well used pocket knife,, the main thing for me is a locking blade, regardless of the make.
David, my preference is dependent on design, if the knife has a flipper, I want the clip on the tip end, thumb stud, clip on pivot end. Thats my take on pocket clips.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

drobertson

Not sure if these pics will show what you mean, but this is one Kershaw given as a gift many years ago, I like it, but it's not really a pocket knife as I think,, a pocket hanger, but it has the reverse hang thing I mentioned, if it does not close up, the tip may get ya,, this little Winchester, a flat little wonder I use every day, now it is stainless, but it stays sharp for me,

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

What I am getting at is the orientation whenits coming out of the pocket.
With a thumb stud I want to grab the knife close to the pivot with my thumb and trigger finger as I pull it out of my pocket so that my thumb is close enough to get to the stud.

Witha flipper you use your trigger finger to open it therefore I want the clip on the tip end (referred to as tip up carry) so I can easily get to the flipper as I pull it out of my pocket.

Its really just a matter of preference.  I agree your Kershaw has the clip on the wrong end. I personally have never had a liner lock of any quality come open in my pocket but I see what you mean.

I have made knives for about 12 years and carried one for 20 and im kinda set in my ways. ::)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Crusarius

Some of the spring assist knives are bad about opening in your pocket. Mine does occasionally but I only notice when I bend over :)

Chuck White

My S30V has a safety on it, just like on a firearm, red dot and all!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Since about the late 70s, Right pocket, Victorinox Officier suisse, left pocket Leatherman original.
I have gutted many deer with the knife and assisted my guide in gutting and boning out a moose with it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ESFted

The Kershaw Leek is always in my pocket.  It's nice and thin and unobtrusive, has a reversible clip and keeps an edge forever.  The only drawback might be the long narrow tip if you tend to use your knife for prying.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Wudman

My carry now is a Lowe's brand folding utility knife (razor blade).  I bought a three pack of them.  I keep a 10 pack of heavy duty blades in the console of the truck.  Now I don't feel bad about skinning a wire or cutting a hose as needed.  Need to sharpen......just flip the blade end for end and get back to work....or pop in a fresh one.  It takes about 10 seconds to change a blade.  Try one and I bet it will stay in your pocket.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Sixacresand

Quality made knives around home and mill.  Disposable or razor pocket type when traveling or vacationing.  Hate tossing a good one because of metal detector
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Wudman on August 11, 2017, 01:59:49 PM
My carry now is a Lowe's brand folding utility knife (razor blade).  I bought a three pack of them.  I keep a 10 pack of heavy duty blades in the console of the truck.  Now I don't feel bad about skinning a wire or cutting a hose as needed.  Need to sharpen......just flip the blade end for end and get back to work....or pop in a fresh one.  It takes about 10 seconds to change a blade.  Try one and I bet it will stay in your pocket.

Wudman

I actually just started carrying a folding utility knife as well, mostly because I have been doing some carpentry on my house. It is a handy tool to have on hand, plus if it gets lost or broke it's only $7 vs the $60 kershaw I usually carry  :)

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

pappy19

A Chris Reeve Large Sebenza, made in Boise, Idaho. Stays sharp and can't be beat.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Woodcutter_Mo

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Thank You Sponsors!