iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

one crazy and super talented kid

Started by Den Socling, September 07, 2016, 10:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.wright.370/videos/1083897078358212/

I hope this copy/paste works. I used to kayak white water but I never even imagined that anybody (this kid is 14) could hand surf anything like this. I didn't think he was ever going to be able to get out of that hole. WOW!

Czech_Made

Impresssive!

I used to canoe white water - C1, single slalom canoe.

Ljohnsaw

And that is all done without a paddle on purpose or did he loose it?  NOT for me!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

On purpose. If you can do it, you get an indescribable feeling!

Den Socling

Just Me

Nice!

I did the Canyon in an inflatable, broke my leg in Lava the second time and had to get helicoptered out. Kinda backed off after that.

Czech_Made

I only have pictures of the water, not mine either :(

Off site photos deleted by Admin.  Refer to photo posting rules.

Chop Shop

Is there some kinda skill involved?   It kinda looks to me to be about the same as jumping into a tornado and hoping to be spit out sometime?

Not for me I guess.

Den Socling

There is a lot of skill. The first thing is to feel the water and let the boat become part of your body. You are going to get tossed upside down. You stay calm and look for an opportunity to do a hip-snap. That puts the boat under you and you grab some air and prepare to get tossed again. One time I jumped off a waterfall. The water under a fall rolls backward. I rolled up over and over again. It ended up funny when I landed high and dry on top of a rock. But then I had to slide backwards into the whitewater again. There I resumed my self-rescues (rolls). It is exhilarating. Really!

Ox

Good lord.  I wouldn't let MY 14 year old do that.  Craziness.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

At the end, you see guys in kayaks on the water watching the kid. The people on the bank are being entertained. The guys in kayaks are there for rescue if he needed help.

Ianab

Being Skillful means you survive to do it again.  :D

Locally guys ride boats like that in the surf. Different to a standing pressure wave, but often a lot bigger. Was out there surfing and watched one guy get his take-off wrong and flip end over end 3 times before he gathered it back in and kept paddling.  :D

Different boat, but this guy has some surf skills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt6aMpt62k
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

I don't know how he could do that on a sit-on boat. I've been on big standing waves on rivers where you can shift your weight and glide from one side to the other then back again. It takes very little energy. That hand surfing the kid is doing would wear an old geezer like me out in about two minutes.

Czech_Made

What Den says, you can either fight the water or use it to your advantage.  If you know what you are doing, it may look quite effortless  ;D

In my country you find yourself often on the water in November or February when there is enough water, it gets cold fast, haha.  I done all that before wet suits became available and in canoes you kneel, gives your better position than kayaks - but kayaks have one more stroke with the double paddle.

anyway, kneeling and cold, sometimes you get out and cant walk for a while :)

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandhills

I'd get sick too, that is if I didn't drown first, I tend to swim about as well as an anchor.

tree-farmer

Glad to see some old river rats on the forum. Lived and breathed white water for many years.
Worked as guide (10  yrs.) on Nolichucky, Ocoee, French broad , New, and Gauley rivers in my past life. Still miss it a lot sometimes. Since sawing my knee I cannot sit in my C1 anymore. Still get out in open cannoe now and then. White water was the most fun I ever had with clothes on. ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Den Socling

I had my fun but I can't say I miss white water. I used to love the thrill. I enjoyed scaring the crap out of myself. As I got older, I guess I grew weary of the thrill. I still like to remember. Like crashing down a snow melt swollen stream. Watching for strainers. It was fun.

Ianab

Prefer the surf myself  :)

It can put you through the ringer pretty well too, but you generally get washed up on the beach when you stop fighting against it.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tree-farmer

We had a couple of standard sayings on the river.
1st was, " if you die we split your gear".
2nd was,"old raft guides never die, they just smell that way"   :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

central pa

Tree f did you know jazz. Just had him as a guide on the new, man is he ever a one of a kind

Thank You Sponsors!