iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you use, Tractor, skidsteer Trackloader or what???

Started by campwags, August 06, 2017, 05:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campwags

I have a Kioti DK65s with farmi winch and forks or grapple.  I also have a Massey Ferguson 3300 that I want to trade in on something???  What do you use to move logs and finished lumber around with?  The Kioti is to large for some of the jobs I need done.  Any help or suggestions???   :P

Thanks,
Gary

Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Percy

We have a 966 and a 980 wheel loads for log truck unloading and moving etc. We have a 16000 lbs forklift for loading large lifts in a truck. The most used machine we have for moving lifts of lumber and small logs and  bucketing sawdust is a bobcat A300. It can load 5000 lbs with a skilled operator and is small enough and light enough to get into my mill shed/floor for moving stuff. We may get a second one soon as this machine is always in demand and never sits idle.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Brad_bb

I've posted this before.  Most of the time I use my Farmall BN John's conversion forklift.  2500 LB capacity.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

millwright

Bobcat skidsteer with grapple forks for about everything.

YellowHammer

Cat loading dock style forklift.  It had changed the way we handle lumber as it's very fast, nimble, precise and can get into spaces we never could before. 

Logs go into the log deck using the loader, all other handling is done with the forklift. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brucer

Cat 910 articulated loader with forks. 10,000 pound capacity.

At the end of the season (i.e., winter) I swaps the forks for the bucket. Clean up all the sawdust and then use it for snow clearing until spring.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

06 Cat 420E IT does log handling, most of the lumber loading, tails the edger, catches slabwood, scoops up sawdust, moves snow, burys dead bodies, etc  Rated for 6,600lbs and pushed to its limits frequently but she don't scare none.  1950s vintage Clark CFY 70 dually fork lift rated for 7,000lbs handles pallet cutstock, sometimes tails the edger, gets into tight places, lifts stuff the highest, and brings womenfolk to the yard.  Love em both.
Boy, back in my day..

flatrock58

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

JB Griffin

At work we use it14,28, or 38. The 38 has a wicker grapple.
At home I use my death trap mf 2500 forklift, no brakes, or steering sometimes. :o
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

scsmith42

I started with a Kioti DK65 but quickly moved on due to the difficulty in seeing the tips of the forks plus the limited capacity.

Small to medium sized logs are handled with a skidsteer with a grapple bucket.

Medium sized logs are handled with a Cat 420dIt backhoe with forks.

Large logs (up to 20k lbs) are handled with an Intl 530 articulating wheel loader.

Logs over 20k are handled with a 25 ton truck crane.

Lumber is handled primatily with the backhoe or articulating loader.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

paul case

For me the answer is yes and then some.
I have  a tractor with FEL and forks.
I have had 3 other tractor loader fork setups.
I am on my 4th and 5th 6k forklifts.
I also use my NH785 skid loader with forks bucket and other tools. Never had any grapple setups.
These all work well in their own way. Some even replace each other when the other is broke down.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

redprospector

I use a Bobcat T-320 with forks, or a grapple, I also have and use an old International 9000 all terrain high lift. The International is bigger, and harder to get around, but it doesn't tear up the ground as bad as the Bobcat.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Bigsticks

Skid steer. Period. I've had both. I like tracks. And caterpillar!
Browning Sawmill~Woodmizer LT50 super hydraulic

DanMc

I have a 43 hp Jd4600.  I use pallet forks with chains and two log tongs to load logs on the mill.  I tried loading with the log on the forks, but it's tough to see behind the fork frame to be sure I don't ding the track.  After loading a log, I back up and rest the forks for loading the lumber while cutting.  Then I take the lumber and bring it to the stack on the forks.  It's not the most efficient approach, but it works.  If I did this for more than a hobby, I'd have a second machine to load logs and haul off the slabs, or a log ramp so multiple logs can be loaded and rolled onto the frame without having to move the tractor with each log.  I'm still figuring this out, as you can tell.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

FloridaMike

45 hp 4x4 Cub Cadet tractor with loader/hay spear & junkyard salvaged forks.  New JD 5065E 67 hp 4x4 with 240 loader/forks/hay spear coming next week. 
Mike

tmarch

Bobcat Toolcat and JD 5320 with FEL and 3 point forks.  So far so good.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Tom the Sawyer

My workhorse is a Teledyne Princeton, piggyback style, forklift.  Floatation tires, turns on a dime and picks up 5000 pounds.  I have a device that slides on the forks and hangs a set of tongs which allows me to lift logs off of trailers with sides or fenders.

My latest acquisition is a used Bobcat S250.  It moves the mill in and out of cover, backs up the forklift, maintains the gravel areas, clears snow (if we ever get any) and can do other things.

Also have an LS, 4wd, 40hp diesel tractor with FEL, that moves and spreads sawdust, mows, etc. 

Just got a Frost Bite grapple for moving logs with the skid steer.  Also have a trailer spotter, a smooth bucket,  toothed bucket and a set of forks - all with quick attach mounts.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

dsaw

I'm a newbie, so just using my Kubota L3940 w/2 log tongs hung on chains from hooks on the bucket for now.  Hoping to upgrade my trailer soon, then add forks to the Kubota.

etroup10

Alt the shaving mill I work at I run a Gehl 330v with forks that have a grapple attached. At my sawmill I have a massey ferguson 50e with forks. They can handle about the same weight. I'd much rather have the skid loader over the tractor. A lot better visibility and quicker for loading logs.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Dieseltim

Dieseltim

DbltreeBelgians

petefrom bearswamp

8540 Kubota with forks.
I am also more careful than I used to be when handling logs..
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dieseltim

Tongs and chain with hooks came from a tool company that is not allowed to be talked about on this forum. Now Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. Tongs $169.

I had seen and used a single tong with another guy loading logs with a boom pole on the back of his tractor. So, when I found the double tong I bought one for myself. They seem to be very well made and are HEAVY.

As with any tools and equipment, always use with caution. Anything that is man made can fail

Thank You Sponsors!