iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade life

Started by Blaszer, August 05, 2017, 09:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaszer

A friend of mine asked me to saw some 36'' wide knarly maple into slabs...Im using my band mill that I built a few years back..It has taken me 2 blades to saw the entire log which is 36'' diameter and 12' long...I'm pouring the water to the blade and manually feeding the carriage to the log.. Im more familiar with my bellsaw so I don't know if this is crazy that the blades are making such wavey pieces so quickly or if you guys have the same results

Bruno of NH

Rock maple can be tough
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

Large diameter logs require wide cuts early in their sawing.  Wide cuts require sharper blades than narrower cuts, for lumber to be flat. Bark has dirt and that doesn't go well with keeping a blade razor sharp.  It is a challenge.

I always would use at least 2 blades, and more,  to cut a 36" diameter log, usually at least 1 blade to "skin it out" meaning to cut off most of the bark faces, sawing 8 sided helps.  Then put on a fresh blade to get it down to cant size.  If the customer wants a stack of 24" wide boards then I might actually have 3 or more partly used blades by the time I'm done,  several of them changed out just because they are starting to give wave on very wide boards.  Some of those blades would be fine for cutting 1' or less wide wood for hours more, but not for really wide wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

irvi00

I've been cutting some big poplars lately. They've been laying for a few months. First thing I do is cut the dry ends off with a chainsaw. Even after that they dull a blade pretty quick. I'll saw two big logs, (24-36 inch") then finish the blade off with several smaller logs.

Thank You Sponsors!