iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you like chicken?

Started by thecfarm, August 05, 2017, 07:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

We just put 20 meat birds in the freezer. We had one that weighed a little over 4 pounds. That brought down the average weight of all the others.  :(  Most weighed in the 7 pounds. We had only one that weighed over 8 pounds. Had about 136 pounds of chicken. Average weight was about 6.5 pounds. If the small one would of weighed 3 more pounds the average weight would've just been over 7 pounds.
Good eats are ahead of us.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grizzly

We didn't raise any this year so we're about 4 chickens away from store bought.  :(  So please enjoy your homegrown chicken. We sure do like ours.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

sandhills

BEEF, it's what's for dinner  ;)  ;D

sawguy21

We eat a lot of chicken, so many different ways to prepare it. Nothing better than chicken soup for what ails ya.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

The saying around here is "Everything likes chicken"  it can sure make it hard to raise them. We put 50 in 2 household's freezers a few weeks ago. It's easier to work them up with a couple of couples hands.

drobertson

cfarm, I was wondering what type of meat bird you guys raised up,  and did you range them?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Some day I want to raise some. I am hoping someone comes up with a chicken that has 6 wings. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Grizzly

I talked with a mobile processor and they want $5 per chicken plus $100 for fuel for traveling plus $.40 for freezer bags. Their booking fairly fast they say. Maybe I'll sell the mill and buy a portable packing plant. Or just keep on doing it the way we do it and do our own. We like to do 300 at a time to get a supply in the freezer.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

coxy

just the skin, liver,  gizzard  and of course the wings  :D

Magicman

Those chickens were still "clucking" when we were there.  If you had fed them Grits, you would have met that weight average.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on August 07, 2017, 02:17:47 PM
Those chickens were still "clucking" when we were there.  If you had fed them Grits, you would have met that weight average.   ;D
:D

sawguy21

An acquaintance who is on fixed income buys whole chickens when they are on sale. He then throws out the backs, doesn't make soup, and the dark meat because he doesn't like it. :o Talk about wasting good food.

thecfarm

drobertson,White Jumbo Cornish Rock Cross Cockerels.
I almost want to put III on the end.  :D
No we did not range them. BUT that is a very good idea. It keeps them on thier feet and stronger. These are breed to do 4 things,eat,get fat,be lazy and the last I can't say on here.  ;D  I saw a youtube a raising meat birds.  He was talking about feeding them twice a day and letting them free range. As he said,they are chickens after all.  ;D  How right he is.

Now Magicman,if I would have fed them grits,I would eat them and than I would be eating grits.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Might as well go ahead,, III works,  nothing like rolling the eggs when you have a good roost and brood, that weight sounds incredible,, tender I'm thinking,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store,we sell chicks,people order want they want and they come in on a certain date. I think we had about 4000 chicks between the 2 dates.I really should say poultry,ducks,geese,guinea hens,turkeys,layers. We sell 30 diffeant kinds of birds.
There has been some problems with that breed. Growing too fast,getting off thier feet. One year the meat was purple on some. Got tested by the state and it was fine,just purple.  ???

Don P

That is one breed I don't think would matter if you free ranged them, they wouldn't leave the dinner table even if they were bright enough to wander away. We've raised them in moveable pens to get them fresh grass each day and to get them off the ground they've completely covered in poop each day. The deer come in each night and clean up, there is that much grain flying through them. We set up a youngster down there for his first deer one year, he scored.

I think the purple birds are a heart problem caused by their growth outrunning their development, they are bred out to the absolute limits. This last batch was a freedom ranger Cornish cross, they are smaller and slower to maturity but will range and are more aware of their surroundings. I don't think they are as tender but haven't done a side by side. They were sure cleaner.

thecfarm

The chicken was good last night!!!!!!!!

coxy

there is a breed of chicken that the meat is purple/black and the bones are black as well  ???

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: coxy on August 09, 2017, 07:21:13 AM
there is a breed of chicken that the meat is purple/black and the bones are black as well  ???

Down here we call it road kill.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

I've always wished we could raise chickens here. We love chicken. On some rare occasions we had some home raised chicken from friends. What a difference from store bought!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

There is nothing like home raised chicken but I have absolutely no interest in keeping the DanG things. Had enough of that when I was a kid.

MbfVA

When we see dark bones on "fresh" chickens we buy for our restaurant (we buy fresh and only buy IQF frozen rarely & under certain circumstances), we start thinking 'previously frozen'.  Flash freezing at the processing level avoids this, but if a wholesaler tries to do it on their own when they get overstocked  to avoid expiration, that regular type of freezing pulls blood into the bone or something like that.   Not good--A lot of our customers are very well aware of what this means.   Fried chicken is our feature, so we have to be picky.
www.ordinary.com (really)

DDW_OR

Quote from: thecfarm on August 05, 2017, 07:49:15 PM
We just put 20 meat birds in the freezer. We had one that weighed a little over 4 pounds. That brought down the average weight of all the others.  :(  Most weighed in the 7 pounds. We had only one that weighed over 8 pounds. Had about 136 pounds of chicken. Average weight was about 6.5 pounds. If the small one would of weighed 3 more pounds the average weight would've just been over 7 pounds.
Good eats are ahead of us.  ;D

a common practice of doing averages is to not use the lowest and the highest.
"let the machines do the work"

MbfVA

casting out the extremes, sometimes ( no present company included) used by the "liars" referenced in the phrase "lies, dang lies and statistics" to bring the average (the mean) closer to what they want.  But gosh folks we're talking about chickens 🐔🐔🐓🐓🍗🍗
www.ordinary.com (really)

pappy19

With freshly butchered chickens, do you age them at all before you freeze them?

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!