iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 21A transmission help

Started by Terry I, August 04, 2017, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry I

Howdy all,

I have a Garrett 21A with a four speed manual transmission. I have owned the old girl for over 20 years and she is a great skidder but the transmission went out the other day.  Does anyone have any information on what kind of transmission they put in these skidders?  I have heard that they were made by Ford, but I can't find anything out there about them.  It has a3-53 Detroit engine in her.  One would think that perhaps it is a GM trans, but again I cannot find any information about it.
I would appreciate any and all information that anyone has.  Thank you.  Terry

dgdrls

Terry I

Thank you for the information dgdrls.  The phone number is no longer operational.  I use to live not to far from Enumclaw and have dealt with Don for many years until his passing.  I talked to Adam a few years ago and at that time he was hoping to find someone to buy out his inventory.  I guess he has moved on to bigger and better things.  The only thing I can think of to do is take the transmission to a transmission shop and see if it can be rebuilt.  I would rather find a rebuilt one as it would be much faster and I could get back to work sooner. hate to waste these summer days, winter is coming. Thank you for your help.
Terry I

BigZ La

Neilo

Can you fit a different trans like a NP435 or Borg Warner t98? Then just sort drive shaft length.

mike_belben

Describe "went out".. Whats it doing wrong? 
Praise The Lord

Terry I

I transmission is stuck in gear and we couldn't get it in neutral, we took the top cover off and there is a broken gear in there. We took the tranny out and now have it at the local transmission shop. He thinks he can find parts for it. Hopefully parts won't be to expensive. Thank you for all the help guys.  Terry

mike_belben

Inspect the thickness of the shift fork fingers that shuffle the sliding clutches to dog into their respective gears.. If theyre worn real thin that couldve caused two different ratios to be engaged at the same time and the trans locked up.  Weakest one gives when you apply power.
Praise The Lord

Terry I

Thank you for the info Mike,  I wouldn't of thought to check that. Terry

mike_belben

Glad to help.  Just happened to my neighbor few days ago in his F150.   Very common with the mazda built m50 5speeds. 

Btw.. A bent fork could do the same.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!