The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Thinking of starting  (Read 976 times)

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Thinking of starting
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »
I hear you.  I ran the numbers on a processor as well.  Hard to justify on a PT basis for what people are willing to pay for a cord.  The other thing is most processors need straight logs and have seen several ads begging for suppliers.  Though it sounds like you may have a large abundance of processor wood available.

Personally, I'll mill the straight logs.  Firewood is what I do with something I can't add more value to (tops and waste slabs). 

I'm building a system similar to (I think) Lopet's system.  Have a trailer to drop poles or slabs on.  Mounted roller conveyor to feed mounted chainsaw (Stihl 066) with helper handle on end of the bar.  Wood drops to either splitter (manual) or old hay conveyor into dump trailer.  I think I'll have about $4k in the whole system and that includes what I paid for both trailers and saw that I already had. 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 10:33:24 pm »
Firewood is $50 a rick here, everyone sells it.  One guy is as low as $35 a rick.  With prices like that i dont put in hardly any split wood. Almost entirely round limbs 8" down to wrist sized.  I sell all the logs that are tie or better (12") and have been collecting everything thats in the middle and sound for building material.  Leave it lay for a bit, the bark comes right off once the grubs lube it up.  A 10" whole round oak timber is mighty strong.   

I wont waste extra time with splitting more than i have to until ive got a processor and several sheds built.  An acre clearing makes more firewood than i can manage by hand even with selling every sawlog.

Online DDW_OR

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:17 pm »
Here in my area a cord of hardwood is between $175 and $200

I know a cord is a tight stack 4x4x8
what is a rick?
the guy that stacks it  :D ;D :D
TimberKing 2000, Mahindra 5520 4x4, Max22 4x4, Bobcat Excavator 331, E80, Multitek 1610EZ
"let the machines do the work"

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:49 am »
Rick is a face cord.. One row, Should be 4x8 x length of pieces but everyones is a little different.  If theyre a little small you ask a little less.  People call any old stack a rick and then dicker til it sells.

Online DDW_OR

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 01:52:25 pm »
thank you.

here in Oregon there is a Law to sell based on the cord, or fraction of a cord.
TimberKing 2000, Mahindra 5520 4x4, Max22 4x4, Bobcat Excavator 331, E80, Multitek 1610EZ
"let the machines do the work"

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:44 am »
We have the same law in MO.  Didn't change a thing though.   ::)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.