iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Head Bouncing Off Pin While In Tow

Started by woodweasel, August 04, 2017, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

So the other day I did a portable job with my LT 40 Hyd. When I arrived at site the cutting head had come off the pin that it rides on. When I got back home it was off again. Which allows the head to move back and forth on the bed. It has a chain to keep it from moving a lot, but still? Its never done this before. I put a little downward force to keep it down? It seems to have play in the entire cutting assembly which allows it to lift off of that set pin? Never noticed this before . Its a new mill 50 some odd hrs. only. ???

RPowers

I live on a dirt road that isn't exactly smooth and this happened all the time, even when being mindful of the road, with my old LT-28. After a few times I got tired of watching for it and drilled a 1/8" hold through the pin above where the head rests and stuck a large lynch pin in there. No further problems, ever. Wood-Mizer should have a lock-pin installed there from the factory, IMO.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

WV Sawmiller

Weasel,

I'm betting you hit the same bump on the way back that you hit on the way to the job site. ;)

I did a mobile job Wednesday had a long, steep access road to a fairly remote area. It had some steep curves and my biggest fear was some sharp dips where i was afraid I would drag the end but turned out I had enough clearance. I did the whole trip in 4WD after I got off the pavement.

I got behind another miller a while back and could see his safety chain was not connected but did not have a chance to pass and stop him. I hope he made it okay and realizes how lucky he was.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Quite a few years ago, I did the same thing on my FIL's 1992 manual LT40G18.

There's a post on here somewhere where I explained it just as RPowers did!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Darrel

I live 2 miles in on a very rough dirt road and have been afraid it would happen but so far, it never has.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jim_Rogers

When the showed me how to pack up/fold up my mill they said to lower the head down until it reached a mark on the stationary ruler that says: "stop" and that is about the 3/4" mark. I have always lowered the head to that point, and mine has never hopped off.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Percy

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on August 04, 2017, 02:54:40 PM
When the showed me how to pack up/fold up my mill they said to lower the head down until it reached a mark on the stationary ruler that says: "stop" and that is about the 3/4" mark. I have always lowered the head to that point, and mine has never hopped off.

Jim Rogers
Exactly what Marv told be back in 1997 with my first mill. He said the up/down  chains should be just a bit slack on the up side.   
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodweasel

Roger, Roger guys. I appreciate the help!!!

woodrat

I used to live and work the mill on some really rough roads, and after this happened to me once, I just used one of those ratcheting cam straps to tie the whole thing down snug.
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

Percy

Quote from: woodrat on August 05, 2017, 11:54:42 AM
I used to live and work the mill on some really rough roads, and after this happened to me once, I just used one of those ratcheting cam straps to tie the whole thing down snug.
Quote from: woodweasel on August 05, 2017, 08:17:59 AM
Are you guys related??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodrat

Quote from: Percy on August 05, 2017, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: woodrat on August 05, 2017, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: woodweasel on August 05, 2017, 08:17:59 AM
Are you guys related??

lol... not that I'm aware of. ;-)
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

MartyParsons

Hello,
   There are two 1/2" bolts under the battery box. They do nothing when the mill is not on the rest pin and in use. When you lower the saw head on the rest pin these bolts should push against the lower rail and take the weight off the lower bearings and help to keep it from moving. I would check this adjustment first.   This would be mill after 1995/96. Earlier LT40 LT30 would not have the bolts.

I have also seen the rest pin hole worn to the point it was not there just a slot. I have cut out the rest pin hole and replaced it with a new one. ( try that) replacing a hole?  LOL Well a hole of the right size with some new steel.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Beavertooth

My LT70 will do the same thing. After this happening twice and having to stop and fix it on the road I just started putting a rachet strap on mine also to hold it down. The 1988 model LT40HD that I had had a safety chain at the pin that would not let it come up.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

woodweasel

Thanks Marty, I will check the bolts under the battery box.

terrifictimbersllc

I think my rest pin is over 3" high. This must be some wild ride.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DPatton

I know you guys are talking about Wood Mizer mills and it sounds like many of you have encountered the same issue. Not sure if a mill modification may be possible or even desired by any but this how one of the other fine sponsors of the FF addresses the issue.
TK mills have two 1" bolts (one on each side of the of the bed) that secure the power head to the bed of the mill during transportation. This makes for a very secure connection that will not allow any head movement during transport.

When the transport is done and its time to setup and mill the bolts are simply removed and installed back into their threaded receiver from below. There they are secure and out of the way till you need them again.

It's a very simple, easy, and secure system.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2017, 05:51:24 AM
I think my rest pin is over 3" high. This must be some wild ride. 
I agree.  The up/down movement is controlled by a worm gear which cannot be moved from the "back side".  I have no idea how the head can jump off of the travel pin unless the lower cam followers are badly out of adjustment.  ??   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe a regular (non-Super) having a lighter head could do it, or perhaps if the hitch pin that holds the travel pin upright came out and motion rocked it back or forth to release the head?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MartyParsons

Hello,
   This is a great topic. But? It is getting more press or causing more worry that would be needed. Here are some things to check.
Stop bolts on the lower bearing assemblies on 1995 and new mills.
Lower the saw head to the STOP line on the scale. Or 7/8"
If you tow your mill every day and it has many hours on it. I have see the hole worn. like 5000 hours +
Watch your speed on rough roads. Use common sense when towing your mill.

I have towed many a mill. I never had one jump off the rest pin. Just saying.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

drobertson

I agree to a point with the over press,, and would press more on speed control where needed.. I remember years ago, like maybe the second portable job?  the roads are gravel,, some wash board, but not West Virginia stuff,, anyway my partner at the time chose to haul buggy,, I was tailing behind,, I will leave it here and say he pulled the mill no more after this one,, albeit only about a two mile stretch to our next job, which was the officially largest log sawn, and it was past capacity, got done and  I finished the drive home, and have from that point on.. Point being,, not saying there was careless driving in this OP's case,, just saying these are precision machines, not field mowing, hay making tools.
I would be inclined to ratchet strap it down in addition to the  supplied tools from the manufacturer.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jcbrotz

I drive on Pennsylvania roads and have never had the mill bounce off the pin not even when the axle spring broke. :) >:( :o you guys gotta slow down, which leads me to my question of did the roof hurt your head?
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Darrel

:D :D :D

Yes, the roof did hurt my head as well as the heads of my wife, my son and my daughter!  Hurt the head liner too!   Taught me to drive slower, it did!!! ;D  That was long before I bought my mill.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

woodweasel

Brand new mill, nothing wore-out.  I drive the same way I did with my old mill (careful).Although pulling the mill 135 miles, you will hit some BUMPS.
So I will check the adjustments. ::) ::)

woodweasel

I got all kinds of answers on this one. ;D Again ,Its a new mill, I've pulled my old one, all over Central Texas. My driving habits haven't changed. I'm as careful as I can be pulling it. Although pulling it on Houston freeways is challenging. I am inclined to believe it is an adjustment problem. Will check it when I get home, at the end of the month. ;D

Chuck White

Quote from: woodweasel on August 15, 2017, 08:43:42 PM
  I got all kinds of answers on this one. ;D Again ,Its a new mill, I've pulled my old one, all over Central Texas. My driving habits haven't changed. I'm as careful as I can be pulling it. Although pulling it on Houston freeways is challenging. I am inclined to believe it is an adjustment problem. Will check it when I get home, at the end of the month. ;D

I agree,  IMHO, if everything is adjusted correctly, the sawhead cannot bounce off of the rest pin!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!