iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Linn Clutches?

Started by FloridaMike, August 02, 2017, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

Do any of the FF members use and recommend the Linn two belt groove clutch for engines up to 25 HP?  It would be going on my homemade band mill driven by a 20.8 hp Honda.  Looking for some feedback before spending the $310.  Search found some 12+ year old info, but nothing recent.

Thanks!
Mike

bandmiller2

Mike, I know little of the Linn clutch except its expensive. I would make a rocking engine base or use an idler pulley and spend that money on something else. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

FloridaMike

I have already made a pneumatic cylinder activated idler pulley, but it seems to be a pain getting the belt slack not to ride on the engine pulley (wearing a flat spot).  With a clutch, it will be one less control (12 volt electric/air solenoid to mess with.

If they work properly and last, I don't mind making the investment in keeping it simple. 

Thanks for the advice, I know their are a lot of mills using belt tension to engage/disengage the band wheels.
Mike

larrydown60

I would ck Surplus center

paul case

The belt slack can be kept in check with a guard that holds the belt just a smidge  away from the pulley. That is what my woodmizer has. So did the ez boardwalk.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Mike, as Paul says you need a close fitting belt guard. With the belt tight you just want it to clear the belt. Sometimes just a couple of smooth pegs at the slack belts midpoint will do the trick. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jemclimber

As Paul and bandmiller say some guards should fix your flat spot issue. My little chippper with the over center idler pulley uses a couple pins around the smaller engine pulley to keep the belt away when not engaged.
lt15

Crusarius

I don't know how big of a hurry you are in but I ordered one of those clutches along with the basic kit. I will hopefully be getting it within 2 weeks. But then I still need to build everything. I can let you know what I think of it but be a while before any logs get cut.

SineWave

FWIW:

Ebay ad deleted by Admin, refer to rules

FloridaMike

Thanks for the feedback!  I haven't heard from anyone who has had a Linn clutch that didn't work well, so I'm guessing they work as advertised (if a little pricey).
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!