iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

build up in gullets on blade

Started by KamHillbilly, August 02, 2017, 06:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamHillbilly

I've been sawing some cedar with the woodmizer blades that came with my homemade band mill I purchased . I have noticed a build up of strands of wood fibers in the gullet of blade , possible wrong blades for the soft cedar , don't think I'm forcing blade through wood too fast its a manual mill .I didn't notice this with the black ash , spruce and birch I cut .All input is appreciated , tried to post picture as soon as I figure it out I will post https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14101/blade1.JPG
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

TimGA

TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

boscojmb

It looks like a dull blade to me.

Was it a new, or resharpened blade? How long have you been running it.

Cedar should cut fine with just about any blade that Woodmizer offers, but they need to be sharp.

John B.

Log-Master LM4

KamHillbilly

Quote from: boscojmb on August 02, 2017, 09:13:04 PM
It looks like a dull blade to me.

Was it a new, or resharpened blade? How long have you been running it.

Cedar should cut fine with just about any blade that Woodmizer offers, but they need to be sharp.

New blade ran about 15 - 8' logs with it averaging 10 - 12" diameter was running back after cut wasn't paying attention caught a branch stub popped blade off  that's when I noticed it

fishfighter

For sure a dull blade and a lack of lube.

xlogger

I cut a fair amount of cedar and don't run any lube at all. My blades stay clean. If I have a blade that needs cleaning I sometimes put it on mill and cut a cedar log and it cleans it up.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

redprospector

I run a dry blade sometimes cutting White Fir, or even Juniper. But once in a while you hit a log that wants to gum up the works.
After 15 logs, and throwing the blade off...that blade's dull.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bandmiller2

Kambilly, sometimes cedar just wants to string. You got some used bands from the original owner perhaps he just sharpened the face of the tooth and not the gullet. A ground gullet with sharp edges tends to cut the strings. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KamHillbilly

Thanks I am looking for new blades to try anysuggestions mostly saw spruce, pine , tamarack some birch and poplar . My mill is powered by a 20hp Honda with a 167" band and is manual feed the local woodmizer dealer wants me to buy 15 blades at a time I don't mind spending a little more per blade to buy smaller lots until I find out what blade works best for my uses (as this is just a hobby ). I am in Canada but have a ship to address in the US
I had rented a band mill 22years ago to cut my lumber for my house and shop now I  am having a great time pulling logs off my property and watching my lumber piles grow

Thanks
Bill

fishfighter

Look at Kasco blades too. A lot cheaper then WM blades. Yes on ordering large lots of 15 blades. :(

KamHillbilly

Thanks I noticed this morning that Lenox wood master GT BLADES have a deal on  plus free shipping on orders over $100 anyone have experience with these . I had a price on Kasco blades in Canada from their rep but shipping was unreal crazy made it not even worth looking into unless I buy from Kasco US and have them shipped to American address so much for supporting local.

Ox

I had a guy bring a batch of blades for sharpening and one looked just like yours did.  It was dull as dull could be.  He was trying to saw larch/tamarack with it.  After a sharp all was well.  I had to wire brush the blade before I could set or sharpen.

I've used Lenox blades and they aren't the worst in my opinion.  Kasco is better though.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

KamHillbilly

Thanks , I'm going to check the US Kasco site and see how prices and shipping differ from the Canadian site

Tom the Sawyer

By all means, check the prices on line but call them and ask about the price... and tell them you are a FF member and appreciate their sponsorship.  The blade price will improve.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

highleadtimber16

Definitely a dull blade. Cedar is very abrasive, run lots of water to keep the blade from heating up. The Kasco dealer here in BC does not charge shipping.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

KamHillbilly

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on August 05, 2017, 01:30:30 AM
Definitely a dull blade. Cedar is very abrasive, run lots of water to keep the blade from heating up. The Kasco dealer here in BC does not charge shipping.
When I first got the mill I requested a quote from Kasco  came home one day and to my surprise there my daughter said a salesman was here it was a salesman from Kasco in Winnipeg left a price on his card .Of course I have lost his card so I sent another request got an email from salesperson from industrial bandsaw services  in Toronto area price was quite a bit higher and shipping was $100 for a lot of 10 blades

millwright

I saw a lot of dry cedar and use Wm 10 and 4 degree, both work well as long as I use a lot of lube.

KamHillbilly

Hopefully Monday have some time to saw try more lube and new blade see what happens. If there any others reading from Ontario where are you ordering your blades from ?
Thanks

scouter Joe

I order my blades from Wood-mizer . I believe you have a dealer in T-Bay . Don't they carry blades ? scouter Joe

Rickcnc

I found a Kasco dealer in Ontario and hope to order some blades next week.  Not sure about the rules regarding sponsorship... sent you a pm with their contact info

KamHillbilly

Quote from: scouter Joe on August 06, 2017, 06:48:04 AM
I order my blades from Wood-mizer . I believe you have a dealer in T-Bay . Don't they carry blades ? scouter Joe
When I last talked to him no 167" in stock and I had to order 15 at a time to get $28 pricing and that was over a year ago

Grizzly

I strongly support buying Kasco 7* from Keith in Winnipeg. He's a Kasco direct rep and I've only received good service from him. The dealer in Ontario that they set up will not get any further business from me. One try that went bad and not resolved and then I found Keith. Shipping was minimal when they charge as sometimes they leave it off. Otherwise $15.00 for a box of 10. Mine are 229"
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

KamHillbilly

Quote from: Grizzly on August 07, 2017, 12:11:09 AM
I strongly support buying Kasco 7* from Keith in Winnipeg. He's a Kasco direct rep and I've only received good service from him. The dealer in Ontario that they set up will not get any further business from me. One try that went bad and not resolved and then I found Keith. Shipping was minimal when they charge as sometimes they leave it off. Otherwise $15.00o he thought  for a box of 10. Mine are 229"

I had a kasco rep come to my place one time and leave his card after I requested a quote he said he was in the area so he thought he would stop by left his card with my daughter I was sure he was from Winnipeg I have since lost his card . Do you think you could PM me contact info very interested like I said earlier the Kasco rep that emailed me when I last asked very bluntly said $100 shipping and for us in northwestern Ontario Winnipeg is way closer

Thanks
Bill

Grizzly

PM sent.

For anyone else in Western Canada that wants to contact Keith please let me know.
I'm ignorant of the rules and etiquette about posting peoples stuff on open forums. If that is ok with forum rules let me know. I already know that Keith is ok with me giving his contact info.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

KamHillbilly

Appreciate it , I'm all for buying in Canada (supporting our local economy )as long as they treat me well and fair and not gouge prices and give me the duty tariff BS

Thank You Sponsors!