iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Care-free Southern Rural living.

Started by Tom, December 23, 2004, 02:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Oh! the joys of small town back roads when you have a log that you want to get home.   Just pull over into the ditch and let the Sheriff's deputy by and he'll smile and wave as he goes on his way. :)

WV_hillbilly

Hey Tom  

just wanted to let you know that you don't have the market cornered on that type of thing  .Other than the Southern part
Hillbilly

RMay

Looks like Arkansas  ;D I had a customer drag two pine logs four miles down a black top road . The ends was a half moon when he got to the mill :D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Ed_K

We pulled some t poles home that way, they were on fire when we got to the yard  ::).
Ed K

Phorester

....and this picture was taken from the dashboard camera of the Deputy's car??

Tom

Nope from out the window of my Kodiak. ;D

;D

redpowerd

looks like uncle jessie destracting roscoe while the dukes get away.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

WV_hillbilly

Thats a pretty good chunk of wood Tom . What kind is it ?  Around here is farm country so you never know what you'll see on the roads .

I picked up 2   28" x 10' hard maple logs 2 months ago from a guy about 7 miles from here . He didn't have anything to load them with so I took my tractor and had my cousin drive my truck and trailer . The looks from some of the people in town was funny . Like they had never seen a farm tractor before . The best part was when I took it on the 4 lane to get to the next town . It was just about 1/4 mile between exits so I did it . Didn't see any Police but lots of people waved as they passed .  
Hillbilly

sprucebunny

If I tried that on the dirt road I live on, I'd get flattened by a log truck.
 Roads aren't quite that straight here.
 Have to go with the ' chain it to the hitch ' method and drag it  ;) so i'd have enough speed to out run or out maneuver the trucks.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

redpowerd

sometimes when i need 'emergency' or 'vacation' wood, ill go down the road about 3 miles to our old growth 7 acres. i put the heavy drawbar on the magnum and get right up to the but and pick her up for a draggin home, tops and all. if the snows too deep, ill use the steiger, but ill have some flat links on the chain if theres no snow on the road(no three point hitch). havent taken out any mailboxes yet, and once i had a schoolbus behind me! kids must have loved it!

rednecks. ::)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Minnesota_boy

That picture sort of reminds me of following a combine down the interstate in ND.  There was a sign that he had to go around and with a 30' header, he had both lanes and both shoulders.  Once he got past the signs, there was enough room to pass him, as long as you didn't mind using the shoulder of the road.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

redpowerd

try driving one of them combines! sometimes we need to drive the combine 30 miles to a feild, thats thu towns, villages, and across state and county roads, including backroads. you wouldnt beleive some of the crazies that try to pass, stop, pull out, or run you off the road. youd swear they hadnt lived in a farming community.

that dude should have had running gear under that header, BEHIND the combine.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Tom

The logs are Southern Yellow Pine ( longleaf) and were downed by the recent Hurricanes.  The Church sits on a hill in the convolutions of Spanish Creek and falls to the creek behind into a hardwood swamp.  The water oaks, Laurel Oaks and Sweet Gums there took the worse hit and most were downed.

These pines on the hill were pushed over at the root ball.  I think the water from the first  hurricane saturated the soil and the winds later caused them to fall.  Luckily, they didn't hit the old Historic Church.

A thread or two exist,somewhere on the forum, about this church.

sawguy21

Meeting a combine with a thirty foot header at the crest of the hill on a two lane is not my idea of fun. Same with side delivery rakes. Only illegal if they get caught without a pilot car apparently and who uses those.
In British Columbia where I came from, the problem arose with loaded logging trucks. Some moron would try to pass as the truck was turning into the mill. More than one got shishkabobed
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Oh, the joys of the sleepy rural roads!  You said that right, Tom.   :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!