iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad Service!! What Would You Do?

Started by ReggieT, August 02, 2017, 03:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Just picked up my two MS 270's from a trusted Stihl shop, UNFIXED!!!
I've been using this guys off and on for about 4-5 yrs, service has always been excruciating slothful, yet this takes the cake and ends our relationship. I bought these saw back in Jan of this year, posted pics, and asked for some possible remedies. Took them to the shop in early Feb.
One MS 270 had a sheared crankshaft on the pull assembly side and needed the crankshaft from the other parts MS 270 to be good runner. Being clamshells, no splitting of the cases was needed so I was told.
Yet, after all this time my ex-bud calls me and says, "there's no way I'll ever get to them, they have a crappy work system, its buddy-system, and it would be best you just come pick them up!   
He goes on to lament, "Your job is only a 2 hour job...if they would let me have the time!" ??? ::)
The place is a cemetery of antiquated saw carcasses, weedeaters, vermin, and miscellaneous 2 stroke junk.
They have a walk-in system...whereby guys by-pass the the front desk and just waltz through the backdoor or side door and drop their stuff on the Tec's bench and hang around, chew the fat and wait till its done or whatever.
I gave him a piece of my mine, but overall I remained pretty cool-headed...later on today I slowly began to percolate, seethe, and was building towards an inferno!! smiley_furious
I asked him two pertinent questions of which he stuttered and could not answer:
1. Why did you not fight for me with your bosses, so I could get my saws repaired?
2. Who calls the shots on whose equipment gets fixed & who's stuff gets shoved on the back-burner?

He says they're only going to fix Stihl equipment that was bought there from now on & won't be taking in any new repairs...
I'm considering taking pics of my post with the saws and their dates from Jan and pics from yesterday, and attach them to a fiery but, intelligently written email and forward it to the highest ranking Stihl official I can find.
I want to be compensated for my gas, wear and tear on my car, and potential loss of revenues of missed sales of the saws!!
I know it's a long shot, but at least I am protesting the pith poor treatment and it will be on record!
I've already found me a local shop who can do the job in 3 days for under $65!!

Any thoughts from you guys?

ZeroJunk

Well, you still have to pretty much disassemble the whole saw to replace the crankshaft. Somewhat easier than splitting a crankcase, but not so much. If it is out of warranty the charge would likely be more than you can buy one for used.

This is the reason that I started working on my own. They are not complicated in the scheme of things. Take your MS270 apart and fix it yourself.

Now the Stihl dealer gives me saws, particularly older models and concrete saws, and I fix them for them and take them back.

sawguy21

If the shop is that poorly run it won't be in business long. You can complain to Stihl, they will investigate and attempt to help him mend his ways but compensation is out of the question unless you take them to court which will just cost more money. Is your local boy a saw dealer?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ZeroJunk

If you find any Stihl dealer who will disassemble two MS270's to swap the crankshafts for less than what you can buy a good used one for, if they will do it at all, I would be quite surprised. Much more likely that they would offer to replace with new parts if they are going to offer any warranty at all.

Would be simpler if they just told you they don't want to get in to it.

ReggieT

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 02, 2017, 04:10:08 PM
If the shop is that poorly run it won't be in business long. You can complain to Stihl, they will investigate and attempt to help him mend his ways but compensation is out of the question unless you take them to court which will just cost more money. Is your local boy a saw dealer?
Yep, they are a Stihl dealer.
I spoke with the owner today...poor guy is as lost as a goose in high wind...they have a business model from the 1960's...or "The Twilight Zone!" :-[ ::)

snowstorm

So you go on the internet to tell everyone how numb they are. And what good dose this do?? Any of us in business have seen the other side of this

ZeroJunk

Yep, it is more likely they won't be in business long if they spend their time swapping out parts on used saws.

And , if they are a Stihl dealer their business model is quite a bit dictated by Stihl. Quickest way to lose that dealership is to get caught using anything other than OEM Stihl parts on Stihl saws.

Gearbox

Just to give you an idea of what its worth . I just sold a good running 270 for $ 100 .Just to small for my needs .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ReggieT

Quote from: snowstorm on August 02, 2017, 07:32:02 PM
So you go on the internet to tell everyone how numb they are. And what good dose this do?? Any of us in business have seen the other side of this
I do it to warn other so they don't patronize this (admin edit) business and suffer what I did & because I CAN!  :snowball:

ReggieT

Quote from: Gearbox on August 02, 2017, 08:03:16 PM
Just to give you an idea of what its worth . I just sold a good running 270 for $ 100 .Just to small for my needs .

I'm cognizant of their worth but, which is not a a $100 in my region.
I'm more cognizant that "worth is relative"... ::)

ReggieT

Quote from: ZeroJunk on August 02, 2017, 06:08:16 PM
If you find any Stihl dealer who will disassemble two MS270's to swap the crankshafts for less than what you can buy a good used one for, if they will do it at all, I would be quite surprised. Much more likely that they would offer to replace with new parts if they are going to offer any warranty at all.

Would be simpler if they just told you they don't want to get in to it.
Exactly!
Do business in a business like manner.

NWP

If he was a friend, why wouldn't he do the job on the side at home?

Sounds like you finding the other shop should be considered a win. Without them taking a long time you'd never have found the new shop.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

ReggieT

Quote from: NWP on August 02, 2017, 10:03:37 PM
If he was a friend, why wouldn't he do the job on the side at home?

Sounds like you finding the other shop should be considered a win. Without them taking a long time you'd never have found the new shop.
Yep, I've been musing about that.
I really should have pulled the trigger earlier.
I really feel sorry for them...I deal so much in the realm of relationships...I just hate to bust em up, but it is what is.
Anyway, I shared it with my local Stihl Rep & negative reviewed them online so I'm ok now. ;D
It's also going lead me into doing some of my own repairs...ready to get ze old mitts dirty and chewed up...kinda! :-\

ButchC

Due to the fact I have been there and done that I can understand why the dealer would not want to assemble a saw from two parts saw brought in by a customer, especially a dealer that is busy. My Stihl dealer wouldn't do that either however they would tell you up front and kindly send you on your way.  I occasionally "junk around" with stuff like that in my shop but I tell people up front that more profitable takes president. Truthfully the bulk of the time they get tired of waiting and come get it.  I am not a snob for new and often install used parts, but from units that I own and making money parting them out.

All that being said they should have  told you up front or not take the work,, in that I agree with your assessment of their business practices.  One of our local ex dealers was famous for letting shop work sit until the customer would buy a new one, which baffled me because the margin in the shop is many times greater than the margin in the showroom,,,

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

John Mc

If I followed one of the posts the OP made, was the Stihl dealer saying he would only do repairs on saws that were actually sold by them? I didn't think Stihl would let a dealer get away with that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ReggieT

Quote from: John Mc on August 03, 2017, 05:04:06 PM
If I followed one of the posts the OP made, was the Stihl dealer saying he would only do repairs on saws that were actually sold by them? I didn't think Stihl would let a dealer get away with that.
The Tech said that, but when I spoke with the owner he said they were discontinuing to work on anything outside of Stihl from now on...he also brayed loudly, "there's gonna be some real changes round hare by next yare!" :D ::) ::)
Its all good now.

Thank You Sponsors!