iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite 750 and modern fuel/oil?

Started by AnvilRW, August 01, 2017, 03:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnvilRW

Hey Folks - I have an old Homelite 750 setup on a Grandberg Alaskan mill that hasn't been used since the 80's.  It was well take care of and put up properly.  I poured some fresh premix and bar oil in it and it fired right up and seems to run very strong if a little rich at my altitude.  My question is whether or not it's good for the saw to run on today's unleaded and synthetic oil?  I use premium unleaded and Stihl Ultra HP for my 50:1 fuel/oil mix in my other saws and want to make sure I won't damage the 750 using the same blend.  Thank you.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Al_Smith

In reply leaded gas for all intents doesn't do a thing for a two cycle engine .When it was in the gasoline it served two purposes .It was a octane booster and a lubricant for the exhaust valves .Just so happens a two cycle doesn't have exhaust valves .Also the formulation for gasoline already uses other anti knock compounds these days,by by lead .
As far as oil mix people run any thing from 32 to one ,some even 100 to one but I'm not a fan of that .Old school myself being 32 to 1 but modern high quality mix oil should be okay at 50 to one .I could elaborate more on the subject but I don't want to ignite the  fire under the never ending oil wars as much as I like the banter .--nice guy Al--- 8)

AnvilRW

Thanks, Al.  I couldn't think of any reason for a 2-stroke either but it's better to ask in this case than assume I knew something I didn't.  I do run a lead additive in my Willys as it's still on the original flathead.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Al_Smith

I've got a '62 CJ5 myself IOE engine not flat head . I just dump gas in it no additives .
Now on the leaded gasoline.Way back went McCulloch dominated the 2 cycle go karts of yesteryear,my era .They recommended "white gas" .Now of course some ran aviation gas but that's another story .White gas back then was what people used in Coleman lanterns and camp stoves .I haven't seen it for decades .

Al_Smith

I might comment on that 750 Homelite which is a very collectable as well as sought after chainsaw .If I'm not mistaken it was the last large displacement saw Homelite every built .They will hold their own with just about any modern saw made today .
Although I've operated a few 750's I don't presently own one but I do have a 2100S .It's a few cc's more and won't out rev a 750 but because of the reed induction it will out pull it .slightly .Good old saws from a bygone era .

AnvilRW

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 01, 2017, 07:11:07 PM
I've got a '62 CJ5 myself IOE engine not flat head . I just dump gas in it no additives .
Now on the leaded gasoline.Way back went McCulloch dominated the 2 cycle go karts of yesteryear,my era .They recommended "white gas" .Now of course some ran aviation gas but that's another story .White gas back then was what people used in Coleman lanterns and camp stoves .I haven't seen it for decades .
Mine's a '50 CJ3A.  Still has the original Hurricane flat 4.  We still use it every day on our place.  This pic is from weekend before last.  My wife is telling me to hurry up, we have firewood to cut.

AnvilRW

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 01, 2017, 07:25:27 PM
I might comment on that 750 Homelite which is a very collectable as well as sought after chainsaw .If I'm not mistaken it was the last large displacement saw Homelite every built .They will hold their own with just about any modern saw made today .
Although I've operated a few 750's I don't presently own one but I do have a 2100S .It's a few cc's more and won't out rev a 750 but because of the reed induction it will out pull it .slightly .Good old saws from a bygone era .
My Uncle is 83 now I guess and he gave it to me last time we were up in MI.  He bought it new and used it for slabbing.  It's set up with a long bar and a handle for two person operation.  He got a bandsaw mill and quit using it.  Put it up nicely and it's in excellent condition.

sawguy21

I run Stihl Ultra because the dealer is a friend and close by at 50:1 in my oil burners and have yet to see a problem. 16:1 and 32:1 are relics from a bygone day when all we we had were non detergent with questionable additives. Oil ha come a long way since then. Make sure the carb is leaned out just enough to start 'four stroking' without load.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Way back when we just used the mixed gas my dad ran in his Evinrudes on his boat .Pint to the gallon,outboard mix oil ,they smoked a tad bit but seemed to run okay .

The CJ5 I have is the last one of around a dozen my father restored .Jeeps were one of his interests .He was over 80 when he finished this one .It has bad bushings in the distributor causing a miss fire .I have another just haven't taken the time to install it . These days if a person wanted to you could build an entire unit from after market parts.

Old Jeeps will go about anywhere if you aren't in a hurry .Those old 4 bangers,flat head or IOE will only rev to about 4,000 RPM which is like about 45 MPH .We used them in the Colorado and West Va. mountains and if they could get a toe hold they'd climb anything .

HolmenTree

AnvilRW, Stihl Ultra full synthetic mix oil is what I use in all my saws.

But I suggest running 32:1 or at least 40:1 with it in your 750 for milling.
Here's a pic from the back of the mix bottle. Stihl recommends Stihl Ultra right down to 32:1.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

AnvilRW

Thanks for the help.  I'll run a little extra oil in it.  Funny that it started right up yesterday after putting fuel in it for the first time in at least 30 years, but this morning I couldn't get it to fire.  Didn't have time to investigate but suspect the carb gaskets and diaphragm might need some attention after being dry for so long.

AnvilRW

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 02, 2017, 06:19:07 AM
Way back when we just used the mixed gas my dad ran in his Evinrudes on his boat .Pint to the gallon,outboard mix oil ,they smoked a tad bit but seemed to run okay .

The CJ5 I have is the last one of around a dozen my father restored .Jeeps were one of his interests .He was over 80 when he finished this one .It has bad bushings in the distributor causing a miss fire .I have another just haven't taken the time to install it . These days if a person wanted to you could build an entire unit from after market parts.

Old Jeeps will go about anywhere if you aren't in a hurry .Those old 4 bangers,flat head or IOE will only rev to about 4,000 RPM which is like about 45 MPH .We used them in the Colorado and West Va. mountains and if they could get a toe hold they'd climb anything .
It does pretty well on the ranch.  We've got some steep and rough terrain and the only place it really struggles is coming back from the spring where the trail is steep, rocky, and usually muddy on top of that.  Like my Dad used to say, "it'd climb a tree if the bark wouldn't come off."  We have a Grizzly and a Pioneer and I'd much rather drive the Willys when doing the rounds or working.

Al_Smith

For reasons unknown to me they get a tad more bite going in reverse .

Thank You Sponsors!