iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT35HD alignment issue

Started by Deere80, March 27, 2018, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Make sure the feed motor is not rubbing on the tire as it goes over it, this could happen if the mill is not jacked up high enough, at least on my LT40. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Deere80

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 11, 2018, 06:46:33 PM
Make sure the feed motor is not rubbing on the tire as it goes over it, this could happen if the mill is not jacked up high enough, at least on my LT40.

Thanks for the suggestion but my feed motor is not even close to touching a tire.  So they must be designed different from the 35 to the 40.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

ladylake

That track rod needs to be cut off and welded on straight and then the bunks leveled to it, I'd sure think its a warranty  issue. No way is 1/8 " or so close enough on 6  x 6 beams.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Brucer

When I bought my first LT40 in 2005, the dealer told me there was a slight vertical arch built into the main tube. If the mill outriggers were set up "by the book", the arch would straighten out under the weight of the mill (and the log) and the mill would cut true. I checked with a water level, and yes, the main tube was arched up in the middle.

I found that mill was very easy to set up and I had no issues with the cants lying flat. The setup was so forgiving that I didn't even have to go strickly by the book.

My second LT40 was a little touchier. I had to pay more attention to setting it up and I suspect there was a little more arch in the tube than in the first mill.

That mill still cut true but I couldn't get lazy about setting it up. And when it sat in one place for any length of time I would have to re-adjust the end outriggers to compensate for compressed soil. When the new screw-type outriggers came out I replaced the two end ones and it was much easier to keep the mill set up properly.

That main tube might look perfectly rigid, but it will sag about 1/16" under its own weight if it's only supported at the ends. You want to have a little more upward pressure near the ends.

When you adjust the bed rails, you need to be consistent in all your measurements. I always measure to the underside of a downward set tooth, and I always you the same one on each bed rail (I mark it with a black permanent marker). I also use the marker to make a line on each bed rail directly under the tooth (I use a level to set it). To speed the whole process up, I've also painted white stripes on the main frame that line up with the front carriage roller housing when the blade is directly above the rails. This may sound extra picky, but I am always sure that my measurement from rail to tooth is consistent.

On the LT40 (and probably the LT35), the blade is 1/16" higher at the outboard side of the mill. The head will pull down parallel to the bedrails as soon as the blade bites into the log.

I also make a point of adjusting the mill alignment when the weather is mild and dry (or I'm under a roof). If I'm cold or wet I always tend to rush things and that's the last thing I should be doing when truing up the mill.

Unless the log moves from sawing out the stresses, with a good blade I'll be within 1/32 of an inch from one end of the cant to the other. Doesn't matter if it's 8' long or 32' long.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Southside

You are correct about the LT35 blade being set 1/16" higher on the outward side.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!