iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 359 etek question

Started by Sherwoodm, July 31, 2017, 01:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherwoodm

Thanks for accepting me into your great Forum.  Wondering if someone can help me with a question about my Husky 359. It doesn't have a lot of time on it but is on its third carb as this model saw had a problem with the original carburetors. Saw starts and runs like a top with plenty of power.  If I stop it and put it down for 5 minutes or so it starts right up again.  If it sits for very long , 15 minutes or so it will not start. Plug is dry and no amount of choking will get it to fire or any gas into the cylinder. I use a standard fuel mixture with aviation gas. If I let it sit over night it will start right up the next day. I have learned to live with this but it is sometimes a pain in the neck.  I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. Thanks very much.

ladylake

It could be running a little hot boiling the gas after it sit for a while, try tuning a little richer which makes it run cooler, don't lug it down too much which makes it run hotter and make sure all the cooling fins and flywheel fan are clean.  Also try letting it idle for a minute or so which should cool it down some.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MrWhoopee

I've had similar problems with my Redmax G5300 (which is a Husqvarna 353e). It starts fine cold and hot, but if it's cooled for 5 or 10 minutes, it doesn't want to start. I usually encounter it after refueling.  I've found that if I hold the throttle wide open, choke off, and pull the starter, it will start. It's not an easy maneuver, I guess you'd call it a drop start,  but it seems to work.
Phineas J Whoopee

Burning pine & hoarding oak

EvilRoySlade

First I'd say stop using AV gas. Usually is quite high octane and can be hard to ignite. Stock 359 has pretty large squish clearance and really no need for high octane. 
I've had similar issues in the past but have had success with the choke. I usually go full choke till it just pops then half choke. This usually fires every time. If not, often times your tune is off slightly. I would assume you need the choke when it's cold?  Does the saw 4stroke when you lift slightly in the cut or race freely?

Sherwoodm

Thanks for all the ideas. I really appreciate.

derhntr

Once I learned the starting drill for the husky never have had a problem starting my 359 E-Tech. Its been my go to saw since 06.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

XP_Slinger

359 is a great Saw.  Like others have said, it sounds like it's running hot so you should richen your tune a little.  Being an etec it likely has a rev limited coil so beware that the rev limiter sounds exactly like 4 stroking when you're tuning.  Also, the Avgas probably isn't helping you, best to run normal non-ethanol pump fuel if you can find it.  Good luck
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

ehp

main thing being a Etech is the muffler , the muffler is choked off bad with a plate inside the muffler that gets very hot to burn the ext gasses off but now with the muffler being so hot it transfers the heat back to the cylinder , the non etect 350 muffler does not have that plate and those saws run cooler . I still think that your to lean on carb settings as well , I would take a 359 over a 357 any day of the week , the 359 can be made to impressed anybody

XP_Slinger

I've never run a worked 359, love my ported 357.  A 359 is on my want list
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Sherwoodm

Thanks again for all the ideas. The comment about the muffler was interesting.  Original muffler fell apart and I replaced it which an OEM Husqvarna muffler but it was the non- EPA. Model. I will try to adjust the carb and run it a little richer.

Sherwoodm

Just need to add, I think this problem started right after I replaced the muffler.

Thank You Sponsors!