iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Larch drying and use

Started by Baron, July 31, 2017, 10:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

I Would like to use Larch (tamarack) for my new deck. I have never worked with it before and need to ask advice. Is it sappy enough that it needs to be kiln dried. I only have a Solar Kiln which is great for hardwood but not for fixing resin.

Can I use it green and lay it board to board and count on natural shrinkage to open the proper sized gaps?

I am fixing to use it rough sawn but with one surface planed. Will that be nice on bare feet? will I regret not fixing the resin in a commercial kiln?

Baron

69bronco

Tamarack does have a lot of pitch, maybe why it lasts longer. I would be more concerned about splinters if using for a deck. Just my 2cents

Baron

Hey Bronco, So would you lay it green and let it dry for a year and stain or would you make sure you kiln dry it prior to use? is your fear of splinters based on life experience with walking on eastern larch?

69bronco

My son's buddy did a 20 acre clear cut of tamarack. They have a large sawmill/kiln operation and sawed it all. Kiln dried, pitch set it was splintery. Son tried to use some on picnic tables, you wanted to make sure an not slide your butt! Other than that I have only used it for timbers, my tamarack is almost gone . Not more than half a dozen trees left.

KamHillbilly

most of my floor joists in my house are tamarack even have some edging on some shelving done in tamarack mind you this is all indoors the only other thing I built with it is dock cribbing at the lake
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

Baron

Is it splintery like Hemlock? I'm starting to rethink having using it for decking. It may not like my bare feet.

69bronco

Ox

Larch/tamarack is hell sawing and handling.  Little tiny slivers you can't really see all in your hands and such.  If I was using it for a deck I'd be sure to give it a good sanding before using the deck with bare feet!

Other than that, around my area larch is popular for decks and porches and such - lasts as good as pressure treated I'm told.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!