iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twitch weights

Started by Neilo, July 31, 2017, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neilo

I am interested in what weight people are pulling with different skidders. I know there are lots of things that affect it, but let's say flat ground in dry conditions.

So please let us know what you pull and what skidder you are using.

coxy

3 years ago I had a 3 mile skid and had 10 sliders on a 518 cat the trees averaged 12-16in on the butt I tried to hook half of them by the top end so they where smaller and I could fit them in the basket  they would be around 8-10in 90% of them was ash  the hard maple I would go with 8 a whole lot heaver  most of the way was down hill or flat and straight the few turns I had was interesting 

Maine logger88

5 to 7 twitches to a tractor trailer load with my 540 and 7 to 10 with my 225. Usually the loads net between 33 and 36 ton.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ed_K

8 sliders on the taylor I use 7 so an average of 7 x 10" x 22' in red oak is right around 5k. the 8th is open for the one that sliped out on the last run  ;D .
Ed K

treeslayer2003

Nielo, i pull plenty of 1 or 2 stick hitches. real big timber has been as few as 6 42' sticks. so, an 83000lb load minus 26400 of the rig is 56000. divide by 6 gives a little over 9000lbs per skid. ya can't do much steering lol.

Spartan

Geez Mike.  That load would put to shame some west coast loads now days.  heaviest stick we've put on recently was last winter, 37' spruce weighed in at 6k.
Although, I have been bucking shorter butt logs in some of our fir so we don't strain the self loader as much. 

treeslayer2003

lol, thats one my nicest loads ever. figured i'd use the best pic. i can see how a self would be strained, that live heel loader in the pic is one my best decisions. makes life a lot easier for me.

longtime lurker

They're all around the upper limit that a 666 Clark can handle. The winch wont holď more, but the likes of the wharf piles on the extendable if we lift the logs up with the dozer spear we can chain them to the top of the fairlead and she'll pull them.

Short dumpy logs the winch can work probably 6 ton. Long logs around 4ton. Lot more drag from the ground on them long sticks.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

ehp

never had a weight but on the 1 740 jd skidder we had I would pull around 5000 feet per drag, machine had 2 winches , 4 way blade , JD made that machine on special order, main winch was a big clark winch , threw the 170 hp engine out and put in a 283 hp motor . Problem with machine was it was heavy and would get stuck easy with 30.5's on it . The CN railroad bought that skidder to help turn railroads cars back over that had derailed

Neilo

Thanks for the responses.

I had a big log to move with the 230d. As usual I bit off more than I should. I got it winched in and moving. It was OK on the straight but wouldn't make a tight corner. Had to cut it in the end.

mf40diesel

My buddies TJ 380c. Not the easiest pull, but she pulls like a horse.  I think it was slightly more than two hitches to a triaxle load.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

wow.   i like loading heavy,   but id rather go often and regularly instead of turn wrenches and pay for parts

Brandon1986

Some times we use an excavator to bonus for our 668... I think when we do that I can get 4 trees to a choker with 7 sliders.. up here we have pretty spindly trees.... I want to say that old 668 will do 10-12k... VERY rough guess though...

mike_belben

Do those clark skidders share any parts with hough/clark/michigan loaders?  Planetaries, diffs, trannies?

Praise The Lord

Neilo

I don't want to overload either but when it is already one log, it comes down to product length.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: mike_belben on August 13, 2017, 11:13:34 PM
Do those clark skidders share any parts with hough/clark/michigan loaders?  Planetaries, diffs, trannies?
yes michigan is clark, almost every thing is shared.
hough was international harvester so almost nothing there.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!