iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rail Mill (Hillbilly Mill)

Started by DustyEly, June 03, 2021, 06:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustyEly

Good afternoon FF! I recently bought some acreage and wood like to start milling for future building projects. Does anyone have advice on buying a rail mill for my Husqvarna chainsaw? It seems like an affordable/lightweight/easily transportable way to start milling. I am anticipating that the milled boards wont be as quality as a "real mill" but wondering if it is good enough? Also is there a particular brand that is more reliable? 
Thank you 

Woodpecker52

Start with a hobby band mill, like a Lt10 woodmizer or import. For the price of a used tractor you can be cutting real boards, I had a chainsaw mill I made, it worked great, used it a couple of times and realized I needed a better saw, chain, etc.  short story.... I bought a hobby mill no regrets and it paid for itself in no time. Just a Lt 15 start with extra bed section, turns out great product every day.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

sawguy21

A chainsaw mill will work in the short term but you will soon tire of it, slow and labour intensive. Look for a used manual bandmill, lots of owners find they want to sell and upgrade. You will be more productive with less effort and waste.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!