The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Problems with my new woodland mill 130 saw blade changing and tracking  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Grandpa Rod

• I'm new!
I have a new 130 woodland mill sawmill.  I have used it to saw about a dozen logs. when I sawed a dirty log and my band got dull I decided to change it out for a new one. After I changed bands and sawed about 2 or 3 logs the band started coming off. I adjusted the tracking over and over and over, etc. (you get the Idea) I have gone through 4 blades now and they either pop off or break in two. I have had to quit twice and walk away due to frustration. It seems like the design on this mill is not quite right. The tracking adjustment is driving me crazy.
I might add that I used to have the woodland mills 126 mill. I did not have this problem with that mill.
Anyone have some suggestions?

If your word or handshake isn't any good, we have nothing to talk about.

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
That's annoying for sure.  Sounds like you're familiar with the operation and adjustment so maybe there's a defect.  Since you've owned the 126 you've probably dealt with support at Woodland Mills so you'll probably want to call them first thing in morning to see what they say.

There are some 130 owners on here and none of them have complained about the problem you're having. Maybe they'll have some insight though.  I have the 126 and had no real issues with tracking or anything else, so I'm not much help with 130 specifically.  They are always helpful at headquarters when I need something.

I did get some Lennox blades that weren't welded straight and they were hard to track, although they would finally track.  Four blades bad blades iin a row is hard to imagine though.

It kind of sounds like something gave up in the tracking or tensioning department.  Did you check the wheel to wheel alignment with a straight edge? 

By the way, welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I hope your next post is a happier one.
HM126

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
Re: bandsaw blade & tracking problems
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:47:36 pm »
Some one on here had the same problem
I think it was some thing to do with a washer needing to be changed to a different style.
Welcome to the FF
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Grandpa Rod

• I'm new!
Thank you fellows for the quick response. I do plan on a call to Woodland Mills tomorrow.

Offline btulloh

There was a problem discussed on the forum about washboard cuts on the 126.  There was a design change to the tension mechanism.  Woodland Mills replaced the urethane washer with a batch of spring washers because of the rapid wear and deformation of the urethane washer.  This also solved some of the washboard problems I and a couple others were having.

It's kind of quiet on the forum tonight.  That's probably why none of the 130 owners have weighed in on this.
HM126

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
Maybe you got a box of bad blades...
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
I have the 126 the only time I have trouble wiyh tracking is when I change name brand names on the blades.

The spring washers are a big improvement.

Welcome to the Forum Grandpa Rod
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!

Check out all of the head and wheel mounting bolts to make sure their tight.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
To me, it sounds like you might have a wheel bearing gone bad. I have a 126 for over two years and never had a tracking problem. Hope you get that clear up. Keep us informed.

Offline Grandpa Rod

• I'm new!
Thanks for all the replays fellows. I talked with the Woodland Mills folks and they gave me some things to try. They are send me a new wheel belt pad. ( the red nylon that goes on the wheel and the band rides on.) This one is supposed to grip the band better. I will keep you posted on the results. I don't want any more punctures through my leather gloves when the bands jump off.

Offline clintnelms

• Full Member x2
  • Woodland Mills HM126
Re: Problems with my new woodland mill 130 saw blade changing and tracking
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:59 pm »
Make sure the belt on the drive wheel sits above the wheel so that the blade rides on the belt and not the metal wheel. That was a problem I had once with my HM126.

Offline esteadle

• Steadwood Forest Products
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 08:06:13 pm »
>  Did you check the wheel to wheel alignment with a straight edge? 
+1

Get a steel or aluminum level and lay it across both of the bandwheels about 1/3 of the way between the center and outer edge. Make sure the level touches each of the wheels at each of the 2 outer edges of the wheel. If it does not, your bandwheels are not co-planar. If they are not co-planar, they will break your bands early, and possibly make them jump off the bandwheels -- exactly the symptoms you have. If you don't know how to adjust the planes of the bandwheels, call the Mfr and ask them to walk you through it. Should be fairly easy... just a torque wrench and time.
Timber Harvester 30HT26 (setworks, hydraulic) Stihl 880 (36" bar).

Offline btulloh

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:10 am »
Did this get resolved?
HM126

Offline Novascotiamill

• I walked the “Thin Blue Line “ for 20 years
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 08:24:46 am »
I just bought the hm 130 and after 4 hours of cutting im having the same ptoblems,my blades jump off the wheel soon as contact with the wood,sometimes they pop soon as they are tensioned,ruined three new blades.i followed all the steps for tracking etc this is really frustrating!!! Seems to me theres a defect in this model!
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
O

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:35 am »
There's nothing magic about the band staying on; it's just frustrating when the tracking is off. You should be able to roll it by hand and observe where the blade rides. If the blade wanders around when you're turning the wheels by hand, it will definitely do so when that engine starts. The blade guides do not hold the band on -- tracking does.

Have you checked the following? It's a good starting point.

>  Did you check the wheel to wheel alignment with a straight edge? 
+1

Get a steel or aluminum level and lay it across both of the bandwheels about 1/3 of the way between the center and outer edge. Make sure the level touches each of the wheels at each of the 2 outer edges of the wheel. If it does not, your bandwheels are not co-planar. If they are not co-planar, they will break your bands early, and possibly make them jump off the bandwheels -- exactly the symptoms you have. If you don't know how to adjust the planes of the bandwheels, call the Mfr and ask them to walk you through it. Should be fairly easy... just a torque wrench and time.

Find something to do that interests you.

Offline Klicker

• www.freespiritfarm.ca
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 07:45:50 pm »
Welcome Novascotia sawmill good see another from up this way. Try using and old blade till you get it to track save the good ones for milling. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

Offline goku78

• I'm new!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:37 pm »
I have a hm 130 and had the same problem when I changed the first and second blade.  I didn't tension the blade enough when I set the tracking and when I took it to the 25ft/lb. the bladed kept coming off. I haven't had the problem since balancing the wheels under almost full tension.
HM130