iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 019 oil problems

Started by Early-1800, July 29, 2017, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Early-1800

Hi, Newby Alert!

I'm new here. I have been working on a mates 019 as a favour.... the sort of job you' wish you'd never started....

It is old (1998) but is very clean with no abuse damage and looks very little used. However it was leaking oil badly when left in any position. Google comes up with millions of oil related problems with Stilh, I should have been warned!

Leaks are pinned down to old rubber pipe between the tank and the inlet to the oil pump. Ordered new genuine hose, found an excellent YouTube vid on how to replace and replaced pipe. Leak stopped by and large. When testing saw noticed no oil on bar compared to my 1980s Husqvarna. Asked mate and he said he thought it was oiling ok as there was oil everywhere!

Oil outlet was crystal-clear no sign of any oil for ages. Ran saw without bar and chain and not a sign of any oil being pumped at all.

Pulled clutch off and plastic oil pump drive perfect. Pulled handle off again and extracted oil pump, it was full of oil, looked fine.

Blew oil ways out with petrol and air line. Reassembled and ran again without bar. No sign of any oil from the exit again but then when held side ways with bar horizontal not the normal vertical position some oil did emerge.????

Bit more Googling and someone mentions that the duct/channel in the plastic casing between the pump and the outlet to bar can become damaged due to heat from the chain brake and/or exhaust. Oil is then pumped inside the case before it gets to the bar.

So is this saw scrap? How come it pumps ok when held sideways?? How come Stilh saws are held up as the ultimate in German engineering when all the internet says are they are rubbish?

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

thanks,

blueberrymuzik

Welcome to the forum!

Is it possible that the new oil pickup tube is oriented wrong in the oil tank? If that is the case it would only pick up the oil when the saw is on its side. If the saw was able to oil the bar properly prior to the pickup tube replacement, and now it won't- it would appear that the new tube is the culprit.

Early-1800

Oil dribbles out of rubber pickup hose ok at oil pump end when disconnected so think that's OK. Will fill tank to capacity and see if it pumps ok then.

Not sure it was oiling before. Mate had a another Stihl previously that didn't oil and chain stretched and came off before he noticed......

PNWRusty

Quote from: Early-1800 on July 29, 2017, 02:33:50 PM
Hi, Newby Alert!

How come Stilh saws are held up as the ultimate in German engineering when all the internet says are they are rubbish?

I can't provide useful tips for the oiling system because I've never had to work on a Stihl oiling system.

But I can provide some insight to the Internet phenomenon you have noticed.

When Googling for diagnostic info for mechanical troubles, you will always find plenty of people who are having troubles. Doesn't matter if it's a Toyota Forerunner or a Yugo 45, your search terms will take you to all the failures. And the people having these failures will often speak poorly of the machine or component that failed. Doesn't matter if the failure was due to operator error, the machine or component will almost always be blamed. Just the nature of the beast.

As to why Stihl saws are held in such high esteem:

That's obviously the result of countless people who have run them hard for years and had nothing but strong, reliable service from them. I know because I'm one of them. I tried to burn up my little 50cc 026 many times by running it lean (where it made peak power) and burying it's 20" bar with over-filed depth gauges (rakers) in logs a lot bigger than the bar. I would load that little engine to the maximum and just let it cut consecutive cuts with as little rest as possible. It would get hot but it never missed a beat. Did that over 20 years and it still runs strong and starts easily every time. The fuel pick-up is the only part that ever failed. I replaced that after 17 years of use and now I drain the ethanol fuel before winter storage.

If Stihl are held in high regard by the people who use them every day-it's probably because they are worthy of that respect.

Early-1800

Yes agree no one writes up when they have had years of good service, only when there are problems.

It doesn't help that my friend has an aversion to buying new products with warranties. He thinks 2nd hand is better and cheaper but as we know it isn't always the case, esp with stuff that's nearly 20 years old.........

To be fair to Stihl both his saw engines start and run perfectly, just the oil pump side that's failed on both.

blueberrymuzik

It is not uncommon for the oil pickup filer in the oil tank to become clogged. Did you clean it out when you replaced the oil pickup hose? It will cause the symptoms that you are seeing.

Al_Smith

Old trick .some times after a saw has sat for a long while the bar oil will kind of"wax up ",won't flow .Fill the oil tank about half full of diesel fuel,kerosene,WD-40 and let it sit a day .Fire it up and run the clean out solvent  through the system with the bar and chain off .Might work,might not .If not you're only out about a nickles worth of kerosene .

blueberrymuzik

oops! I meant to say  "oil pickup filter" in my previous post.

Texas-Jim

Did you orient the oil pump correctly when you installed it? it has to go in a certain way and a certain depth.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Al_Smith

Quote from: PNWRusty on July 30, 2017, 09:07:34 PM
Quote from: Early-1800 on July 29, 2017, 02:33:50 PM
Hi, Newby Alert!

How come Stilh saws are held up as the ultimate in German engineering when all the internet says are they are rubbish?

I can't provide useful tips for the oiling system because I've never had to work on a Stihl oiling system.

But I can provide some insight to the Internet phenomenon you have noticed.

When Googling for diagnostic info for mechanical troubles, you will always find plenty of people who are having troubles. Doesn't matter if it's a Toyota Forerunner or a Yugo 45, your search terms will take you to all the failures. And the people having these failures will often speak poorly of the machine or component that failed. Doesn't matter if the failure was due to operator error, the machine or component will almost always be blamed. Just the nature of the beast.

As to why Stihl saws are held in such high esteem:

I know because I'm one of them. I tried to burn up my little 50cc 026 many times by running it lean (where it made peak power)
Running at max RPM's might appear to be max power but it's not .Conventionally a slight "4 cycle" sound ,free reved unloaded is considered the best condition .It might not appear to be but it is,just saying .

Early-1800

Thanks for replies.

I cleaned filter with petrol and blew it through and oil dribbles out of rubber hose at pump end so supply from tank appears to be OK.

Pump reinstalled correctly as per embossed symbol on case.

Filled tank to capacity and it still only pumps when saw held 'sideways'?????

Anyhow, he has another mate who is a professional tree surgeon so he's going to ask him (admin edit)is up with it.

joe_indi

Try it with a more viscous oil. This is just to check whether the pump works in a none- sideways position. Maybe it will pump less oil, but does it pump, that is what must be checked.
If it pumps with viscous oil, but not with regular oil, the obvious conclusion is that the pump is not able to suck oil, proabably from wear.

PNWRusty

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 01, 2017, 06:13:04 AM
Running at max RPM's might appear to be max power but it's not .Conventionally a slight "4 cycle" sound ,free reved unloaded is considered the best condition .It might not appear to be but it is,just saying .

That's interesting. My 026 seems to have a little more cutting torque (as well as top end rpms) when tuned just lean of the burble (when unloaded). I know this is risky but it's been working for me for 20 years with the same saw. Just bought a 261-C (auto-tune) and it takes care of that for me but I think I'll keep tuning the 026 the way that's been working for so long.

Thank You Sponsors!