iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 ring pot holder

Started by grouch, July 29, 2017, 01:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Don't know where to put this, but I've seen gardening stuff somewhere around here, and maybe this will be useful to somebody else.

This is made to hold 3 pots for seedlings or seeds. Each ring is about 2-7/8 inches (73 mm) in diameter. Some time ago my wife showed me something similar, but welded, in a catalog for 2 or 3 bucks each. Naturally, she used the lure, "I bet you could make something like that." No way I could weld that skinny wire without burning it up.

This is what it ends up like.

In case you can't see those little numbers (sorry), those are 1/8 inch x 36 inches copper coated steel welding rods. Only the dimensions matter.

(Stop looking at the background clutter -- so I ain't neat). That's a 2 inch (nominal, 2-3/8 inch actual O.D.) pipe with the end of one of those rods vise-gripped to it.

Wrap it...

and wrap it...

and wrap it...

and this is what it should look like *after* the spring-back.

Grab the first full ring.

Bend the stack above it.

Next ring.

Bend.

Grab the last ring and bend its tail up...

Done.

I've had to use up that whole 10 lbs of rods making those things. The copper coating doesn't stop rust for long, but she doesn't care; the oldest, crusty looking ones I made are still being used along with the newest.
Find something to do that interests you.

yukon cornelius

Nice job! Those are neat  8)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

grouch

Thanks, yukon cornelius.

It's a trap! If you make one, you end up making them until the wire's gone. And then she tells you to get more.

21incher

That came out great,  but it looks like a great 3 beer carrier for sporting events. :) 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

grouch

Quote from: 21incher on July 30, 2017, 09:35:02 PM
That came out great,  but it looks like a great 3 beer carrier for sporting events. :)

Might have to upsize those rings a bit. ;)

It'll hold tapered pots and cups up to around 4 inches in diameter, but I'm not sure of the maximum weight capacity. Do they sell beer in containers that small at those events?

Thank You Sponsors!