iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poor Man Logging

Started by Ruffneck, July 29, 2017, 12:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

It's funny to see how I've evolved in the logging arena. The only formal training I've received in my forestry/sawmilling endeavor was the one day instruction Wood-Mizer required before taking my new mill home. Thank you Forestry Forum for being here to lead me in  the right direction  8)

I've completed another five acre thinning operation working with the Washington State DNR over the last fall and winter. I've decided to bring the logs back to mill so I can do the work at a more relaxed pace this time. This DNR project paid $3,200... I'm still have oak firewood from the DNR project in 2013.

The most important lesson I've learned so far is the fact that danger is everywhere doing this work.

This is how I'm loading my logs: https://youtu.be/_5k8O16D9-s?list=PL4041w-KMR6LlOvq4q9rz0xeit3e1oZUY
;D

Stay safe friends!

thechknhwk

You always got the best music! 8)

Magicman

Whew, you always make me tired.  Congrats on the nice logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

I want your old truck  ;D

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

sandhills

Thanks that was fun!  I also agree you always got great music  8).

Ljohnsaw

Cool video - thanks for posting.  +1 on your music as well.  I was parbuckling logs onto my trailer (single axle, tires level with the top when fenders removed) with a hand winch. :-\  And then to unload, just park the trailer on a little bit of a side hill and away go the logs! 8)

Watching your video, I got to thinking I should pick up some cable and do the same (have a couple of snatch blocks).  I look on CraigsList and score a free 12,000# winch.  He doesn't know why it don't work.  His words - It only has one cable (heavy positive lead) and has a socket for a 4 wire remote control switch (which he does not have). ::)  Hmmm, I think I can get this to work.  If not, I got a bunch of 3/8" or so cable for free!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sixacresand

I agree.  It makes you tired just by watching.  Add to the poor man's method, he usually has to position the trailer for parbuckling each log which includes re handling the ramps.  Thanks for taking the time to video the task and posting it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Stoneyacrefarm

Great video.!!
It's always interesting watching different ways guys figure out how to do things.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Ruffneck

When you know your work is going to be reviewed by your peers, the pace picks up a bit. :D

ljohnsaw, when I set up for my first log I crib my ramp up high enough to clear my fender. Once the first log is loaded I use it to rest the ramps on. I measured some cable wrong for my drill rig and ended up using it for my logging. I picked up the pulley at Harbor Freight for a fairly reasonable price. I anchor my change of direction to the axle :) So far so good.

Sixacresand, when I do my thinning operations I clean up all the slash and smaller trees in burn piles, leaving my saw logs behind. I then hire my neighbor to deck them for me so I can load them. I have a couple of logs out there I will have to load like you're saying though. I'm going to try and yard them out of the woods on a hood to a pickup to keep the log from digging into the ground. We'll see how it goes.

The logs I'm milling are ten inches on the small end. I've left the bigger trees behind and I'll be removing some of them later to get the spacing and defensible space I need. Can't wait to start building.

thecfarm

Good Job. Looks like you have done that a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

I should add, I did not parbuckle the big cedar. There was an excavator I was allowed to use on site. First time I used one for moving logs myself. Definitely a learning curve there, my poor trailer. I'm replacing my tires, repacking the bearings and repairing the fender now  :D

Banjo picker

Thanks for taking the time to make and load the video.  I like your music as well.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Ruffneck on July 30, 2017, 12:58:46 PM
I should add, I did not parbuckle the big cedar. There was an excavator I was allowed to use on site. First time I used one for moving logs myself. Definitely a learning curve there, my poor trailer. I'm replacing my tires, repacking the bearings and repairing the fender now  :D
Sounds like your logging is sort of like mine. Log awhile and then fix things for awhile.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

AnvilRW

Nice job.  You need some gin poles on that Ford.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Bill Gaiche

Thats work. Next time put a nice rock or two in your pocket, then use that can't hook, roll that log up on your poles and when you have gone as far as the can't hook will let you turn it, take that rock out of your pocket and scotch it under the log to pole and take another bite with the can't hook. It works because thats how I did it when I worked at a mill that didn't have a log truck with a winch. Yes its work too but it might save you a few steps on the size of logs you were loading. Enjoyed your video. bg

Thank You Sponsors!