iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shelter build

Started by Treehack, April 25, 2017, 12:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehack

What you really need me to send you are some of the apples that drop off in the fall for some seeds.  Them things can be a real bell ringer if they hit you
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

grouch

Quote from: Treehack on May 20, 2017, 05:49:42 PM
What you really need me to send you are some of the apples that drop off in the fall for some seeds.  Them things can be a real bell ringer if they hit you

If that's an offer, I may take you up on it. I'm going to ask around and see if there are any locally. The previous owner here may have wiped them out because of the thorns. Or maybe he had his bell rang. :)
Find something to do that interests you.

Magicman

I don't have any left on my property.  Wish that I did.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Treehack

Grouch,
Never tried cracking one before, but the dang squirrels can sure do it.  I'll give it a try this fall and let you know.  Lot of brain cells will be used between now and then, so if I forget remind me around September.  :)

campwags

I planted a long row of Osage Orange last year and they are taking off...
Got'em from here: http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/osage-orange-maclura-pomifera.html

Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Treehack

Finally got all the trusses built and installed.

Brought back 3 standing dead red pines from our family property for roof decking.  Yes, there were 3, but forgot to take the pick before I started sawing.   ;D 

Roof will be metal and from what I have gathered from other threads here, bare metal has condensation and dripping issues of used without a deck under it, so will be using a 4/4 deck and tar paper under the metal.  Got some good 6.5" boards from these three trees and should cover about half the decking.

Will need to bring back some more logs to finish decking next time I get a chance, or might have a line on some free poplars near by.

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Treehack on May 20, 2017, 05:49:42 PM

Plant osage?  Here's how you do it.  Get a plastic barrel.  Fill it half full of osage apples in the fall.  Leave it open and outdoors.  Let it fill with rain and freeze all winter.  In the spring, the apples will be broke down, releasing the now stratified seeds.  Stir the mess vigorously.  Dig a narrow trench and pour the slurry with seeds into the ditch.  This is how the hedge rows were planted in IL in the 30's after the dust bowl.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Treehack

Sorry I have not kept progress updated, it's been a long summer filled with a heavy dose of sports for my kids, so progress was slow.  Been able to hit it pretty hard last couple of weeks and have all structure, roofing, and siding done now.

You can see on the front gable end the interesting contrast of the yellow fresh cut osage and the nice bronze color it turns after a little weathering.  Only thing left now is to add some storage platforms up in the rafters.

nativewolf

Quote from: Treehack on September 12, 2017, 08:59:38 AM
Sorry I have not kept progress updated, it's been a long summer filled with a heavy dose of sports for my kids, so progress was slow.  Been able to hit it pretty hard last couple of weeks and have all structure, roofing, and siding done now.

You can see on the front gable end the interesting contrast of the yellow fresh cut osage and the nice bronze color it turns after a little weathering.  Only thing left now is to add some storage platforms up in the rafters.

Kids shouldn't be wasting time playing sports they should be there on the sawmill learning to file blades, bag sawdust, buck slabs into firewood (don't let kids younger than 6 run the chainsaw, don't ask me how I know), curse, and chew tobacco.  America is going to the dogs
Liking Walnut

grouch

It might be slow progress, but it's good progress! That's a fine looking shelter. Makes me even more envious of your osage supply.
Find something to do that interests you.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Peter Drouin

I like that, Nice setup you have.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!