iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a kiln using shipping container.

Started by Qweaver, July 28, 2017, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

It seems like a container would be a good movable kiln.  Where could I look to find out the basics of kiln design? I have access to cheap containers from a friend that sells and moves them but I need to know if this is a good way to go before I buy.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

btulloh

Do a search here on the FF.  This subject has been discussed a lot.

I can't help you beyond that, but others will chime in shortly I'm sure.
HM126

BigZ La

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is an interesting side comment thatthe US Forest Products Lab in Madison began to suggest some kiln designs in the 1950s, so the kiln manufacturing companies felt that their business was not being treated fairly with these "free designs" so Congress passed a law (or similar edict) that prevented them from publishing designs.  This was about 1958 I believe.  So that is why you do not see original kiln designs, especially for smaller operations, in any of their publications, such as Drying Hardwood Lumber, Drying Eastern Hardwood Lumber and Dry Kiln Operator's Manual.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Cazzhrdwd

Go for a refrigeration unit instead of a regular sea container. The refer units are already insulated and ready to go. They cost about $5000
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

K-Guy

The other benefit of an insulated shipping container is that they are lined with Aluminum or Stainless Steel and won't rust out in a few years. Nyle offers Container Kiln Packages.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

woodshax

Might be cheaper to get a regular container and put 2 inches of closed cell spray on the walls and ceiling and then R panel over it

red

I am sure it is just me .  But if you have a sawmill why not build it with your own lumber ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: red on August 10, 2017, 08:25:07 AM
I am sure it is just me .  But if you have a sawmill why not build it with your own lumber ?

Its a good question!

I have one refer unit and one built with my own lumber. I had it sprayed with foam to seal any cracks. The issue with my built one is the doors. That is usually the trouble area. Plus the built ones have normal deterioration over time.

I've never had to do a thing as far as maintanence with my refer unit, it cost half as much to run as the built one just because of how tight it is.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: woodshax on August 10, 2017, 08:13:18 AM
Might be cheaper to get a regular container and put 2 inches of closed cell spray on the walls and ceiling and then R panel over it

20 ft regular containers here are about 2000. Refers here are about 5000. Gaining the aluminium floor and stainless steal inside walls is well worth the extra 3000

farmfromkansas

I've been pricing containers.  Can get a 40' 8x8 shipping container delivered for 2100.  Talked to a guy who sells trailers, he will sell me a slightly damaged 53' refer with the axles removed for 2500.  Also has 2 undamaged they are both 48', and one  is 3000 and the best one is 3500.  The 53' has some damage on the floor right on top of the rear axle, where it went over a concrete  barrier. Think it probably would push down, but maybe not perfectly.  The guy will deliver with the axles removed and set the trailer box on the ground.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: farmfromkansas on August 20, 2017, 05:50:27 PM
I've been pricing containers.  Can get a 40' 8x8 shipping container delivered for 2100.  Talked to a guy who sells trailers, he will sell me a slightly damaged 53' refer with the axles removed for 2500.  Also has 2 undamaged they are both 48', and one  is 3000 and the best one is 3500.  The 53' has some damage on the floor right on top of the rear axle, where it went over a concrete  barrier. Think it probably would push down, but maybe not perfectly.  The guy will deliver with the axles removed and set the trailer box on the ground.

Well there you go, can't beat that price.

YellowHammer

Here's a link to my kiln build out of a reefer. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82071.0.html
Reefers are great, the have an extruded aluminum floor, are very flat and incredibly well insulated.  Stainless steel on the inside, aluminum on the outside.  Great door seals, and easy to fit.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Quinton,

I built a kiln from a 45' steel high cube shipping container back in 2004 and installed a Nyle L200 / Woodmizer DH4000 unit in it.  It's been in almost continual service since then.

Having operated one for thirteen years, with the experienced subsequently gained I am not an advocate of using them for production volumes, but they have their place in some operations.  A container kiln was the right decision for me at that time.

Without question, if I had to build another container kiln I would seek out a reefer unit and convert it, as opposed to insulating a steel container.  We dry a lot of oak and the tannin's are hard on the steel.  I will have to take mine out of service in the next 12 months and scrap it due to extensive corrosion on the metal and the fact that it's getting beyond repair.  It will be replaced with a dedicated building for ease of loading/unloading and improved airflow.

Robert (Yellowhammer) has some excellent documentary posts about his.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!