iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulling a marine steering wheel

Started by Qweaver, July 28, 2017, 09:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm putting a new engine on my Carolina Skiff and I am unable to pull the old steering wheel.  The wheel is not made to be able to use a puller well.  Soaked with Blue Creeper for three days, drove wedges, drilled and tried puller..no joy with any of these.  I want to let the steering system stay with the old engine but it looks like I am just going to have to destroy the wheel to get it off.  I'm surprised that the Blue Creeper has not worked because I have had very good results with it on rusted bolts.  I have a few more days until I get  the new engine so I'll keep soaking and then I'll grind it off.  No way to get heat on the wheel until I cut away all of the plastic.  Any suggestions?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sprucebunny

Have you looked at the back of it ???
Maybe it bolts on to the dashboard inside the base.
Or maybe the steering cables or whatever have a place to detach them.

Picture would help.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kbeitz

If you have room to put a bearing separator behind it then that makes a spot to hook a puller to.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

69bronco

Usually a tapered shaft, try driving some wedges behind it. Loosen the nut to the end of shaft, using a hardwood scrap on the shaft/nut give it a Crack with a hammer.

drobertson

I was thinking kinda like SB, thinking it may be set screwed on or something like it,  if not, it sounds like years of corrosion has bonded the shaft and hub together,  heat may be the only resort,,  or just some good ole pounding to crack it loose.  Sounds like a real pain either way,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Qweaver

Thanks for the suggestions.  Tried them all---still no joy.  I would just keep the existing steering if it worked better.  I can't even get to the steering box until I can remove the wheel.  I'm just going to keep the wedges in place and keep adding blue creeper for a few days.  When all else fails...demolition derby I guess.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Kbeitz

This is a bearing separator. Most of the time it will fit behind the wheel.
Then you can bold a large puller to it.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

snowstorm

this must be a push pull cable set up. are you going to hydraulic steering? if so it will be well worth it in the end

Thank You Sponsors!