The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
Re: Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 11:02:33 am »
Dave,

I had a gallon of your syrup froze. We had to take it out of the freezer to make room for food during Irma so it got defrosted for 3 days. Can we refreeze and will it be good?
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
Bill, you can put it back in the freezer. While it gets real cold it doesn't actually freeze solid unless you can get to about -70F. Warmer than that it just gets thicker (like molasses in January). When I ship syrup I put in a note that the best way to preserve the flavor is to store it in the freezer. Then when you will be needing a refill for the container in your refrigerator, take it out of the freezer the night before and it will warm enough overnight to pour some into a smaller container for the fridge, then put the rest back in the freezer. 2 points, you don't want to put a full jug in a freezer that is colder than zero F and don't try to freeze a glass bottle of maple syrup, it will actually expand and break a glass bottle, in a jug it will not as long as you removed a little to keep in the fridge first.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 08:45:22 am »
Thanks!  I'd sure hate to have lost a full gallon of this wonderful syrup!
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 05:04:21 pm »
I've got more, don't keep hoarding it!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
 :D :D

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 06:30:38 am »
I'm just a back yard syrup. But freezing mine shows me I got all the water out. There should be nothing froze.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 08:55:21 am »
I've got more, don't keep hoarding it!

I need to eat more waffles.
We are just finishing the first gallon.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 09:14:33 am »
Going, Going but not gone. Yesterday I participated in a local "meet the vendors" event at my only other outlet I use for my syrup (other than sugarhouse and home sales) aside from the Forestry Forum. At it I sold 15 more bottles of the Bourbon Barrel aged Maple Syrup. I was offering small sample cups of the syrup for them to taste, 16 tasted it, and 15 bought. The only one who tasted but did not buy, said she really liked it but she had recently started Weight Watchers and thought it might not help her reach her goal.
While I had hoped for even more sales, the % of those who sampled it to those who bought was good. It seems many just hear the word Bourbon and think it is alcoholic and never give it a chance. It contains lots of bourbon flavor but less than 2% alcohol.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 01:02:01 pm »
My last barrel (for this year) of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup will be opened and tested to see if it's ready next week. After that is bottled, I won't be making any more until April 2018 . The barrel I'm opening is a larger barrel than the first 2 I opened, the larger the barrel the longer it takes to get to the perfect taste combination. I'm hoping this helps me have enough for my Christmas sales. If not, I'll be sure to fill more barrels for next years batches than I did for this year. I can only use each recently emptied barrel once.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »
By the way, 2 more bourbon barrel aged maple syrup shipped out yesterday along with some regular maple syrup, going to southern California to a fellow FF member.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 08:13:46 am »
Christmas orders should be made by Dec. 10 to guarantee delivery by Christmas. I ship the next day after I get an order but the last time I check for orders is about 7PM E.S.T.

Offline burtle

• I'm new!
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
I want to order some! Message sent :)
Never Give Up

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 05:01:14 pm »
I got your message the next morning and replied with some figures and a question. No answer yet. Still waiting.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 07:31:20 pm »
Answer received, thanks, your order is going out 11/4, enjoy!
Dave

Offline burtle

• I'm new!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 11:23:17 pm »
Answer received, thanks, your order is going out 11/4, enjoy!
Dave

Thank you!

Can't wait to get it.

I'll be placing a Christmas order in a few weeks. I'll keep in touch.
Never Give Up

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:39 am »
Please place Christmas orders by 12/10. Things get real hectic here at that time, while I usually ship the next business day, at that time it can sometimes take 3 or 4 extra days, especially if I need to bottle more product.  :christmas:
Dave

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:55 am »
My BIL and I just packed the last barrel of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup into bottles yesterday, Like the first 2 batches, it tastes absolutely fantastic. I will not have another batch until about Aug 2018. We had been trying to get time to bottle that last batch for about 5 weeks, but then my shed project got in the way. It seems the extra month or more did not hurt one bit. I was thinking the bourbon flavor might be overpowering the maple taste and I need to blend it with some pure maple to get it perfect, but that was not needed.
For those thinking long term, I only have about 210 bottles at this time and between my FF sales and my local sales I sell about 25-35 a month. Then in March 2018 I'm having 4 open houses, 2 week 2 days each and based on previous open houses (before I started making the bourbon barrel aged maple syrup) I can get any where from 50 visitors on a day of open house, up to over 700. A lot depends on the weather, if it feels like maple weather far more come, if it feels like July the turnout is light. At any rate, my guess is that any BB syrup I have left at that time will completely sell out, since I give out little sample cups for visitors to try. So far my worst percentage of sales since I started making BB syrup is a respectable 96% buy.