iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with number of logs needed for a cutlist

Started by VAWOODWORKER, July 27, 2017, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAWOODWORKER

First, this is my first time posting.  I've followed this site for years.  I do a lot of woodworking and I had some lumber milled about 15 years ago and since them I've been very interested in sawmilling.

I'm building a 12 X 20 shed for my woodworking and will be having some poplar trees cut into lumber for the shed.  I've got access to lots of Poplars on my Dad's farm.  Most range from 20 -30 inches DBH. 

I have a pretty good idea of the amount of lumber I need, but I'm not sure how many trees to cut down.  Here is a general cut list.  Could someone give me some help on how many linear feet of logs I need?  Let's say the logs will be 20 inches small end.  2X4 will actually be 1 1/2 by 3 1/2.  1 by material will be for board and batten.

50- 2X4X9
25- 2X4X12
25- 2X6X12
15- 2X6X14
85-1X10X9
85-1X3X9

Thank you so much for your help.  I appreciate any help that you can give me.

btulloh

I'd convert that list to board feet.  Then use the calculator in forum toolbox to estimate the BF in a couple representative logs to get the bf yield.  You probably need 25% more bf in log yield to give you a good chance of making everything in you cut list.  I might go 50% more than log yield BF just to be safe.  You're gonna have stuff toward the center that starts to get more knots as you get close to the middle of the log and you'll need to get rid of the pith.  You're list is pretty reasonable.  You need enough logs to get the battens and siding you're looking for, because some boards you just won't like.  Battens need to be clear for the most part.  Anyway, give yourself a cushion with the log estimate, because you'll want to pick and choose.  20 inch logs are a good size to get your cut list from.  Sounds like you've got some good logs to work with.  Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, if you take the small end diameter and multiply by 0.707 it'll give you the size cant you can square out of a log.  (Use 2/3 as a quick way to estimate.  12 inch log squares to 8x8).  You'll get some side lumber in addition to that.
HM126

drobertson

Sound like you have a good plan and some great logs to work up.  Just by looking at your cut list and not running a hard number count, I've come up with what I believe is a close proximity to your requirements.  2- 9' ers for your studs,
                       3- 12' er for your 12' 2x's 4's and 6's
                       1- 14' er for your 6's
                       6- 9' er  for your 1x10's and bats,
I did not run the numbers, just a quick eye ball on your list, considering 20" logs,  this seems like a dream job for a sawyer to me,, ;D  I recommend that you use the tool box calculator and run all the numbers for yourself, and find a sawyer that knows what to do;  a lot of the boards can come from working through the list while sawing out the target boards.  an extra one of each length is not a bad idea in the case of any unexpected defects,  Use clear butts for the studs and two bys as much as possible, good luck and be sure to show progress as it goes!

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jaygtree

also, i would cut my logs at least 6 inches longer than what i want the lumber to be so i could square up the board and cut out some end split. good luck. great project.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Thank You Sponsors!