iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS270 crankshaft repair??

Started by ReggieT, July 26, 2017, 03:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey Guys,

Bought a MS 270 on the cheap. Previous owner said he over torqued and sheared the crankshaft on the pull assembly side.
Said it could possibly be tapped out and metal piece could be welded or just replace the whole crankshaft.
As usual I'm out of my skill set/experience on this, hence this thread and cry 4 help!
I do have a best bud who runs a Stihl Shop...and gives me excellent deals.
Just wondering if I could do this myself, besides I see good OEM parts pretty cheap for it.
**Update!!**
I now have another 270 with a good crankshaft...MUST I SPLIT THE CASE?   ??? :'( :'( :'(

joe_indi

Yes, it is possible in some cases. The standard is a 13mm nut. Done carefully, a 12mm nut would sit tight, or a 10mm nut.
This needs to be done very patiently with a whole lot of 'TLC' but it is do-able

dougand3

It's a clamshell - you don't split the case. Relatively easy to change crankshaft, bearings and seals.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

ReggieT

Hmm, relatively easy huh?
Give me a walk through on the process...

celliott

Quote from: ReggieT on July 27, 2017, 02:27:06 PM
Hmm, relatively easy huh?
Give me a walk through on the process...

I've never done an ms270, but, it's a clamshell, so, basically, take it all apart.

Seriously, tear it down so you can remove the engine. The cylinder, crank, and bottom pan\seals should come out as one piece. Then take the bottom cap off, crank will fall out with piston attached. It likely requires a nearly 100% teardown.
Start by taking the fuel tank and handlebar off, then muffler, then go to the carb side, remove intake, carb and related components, flywheel, clutch, oiler, whatever else is left.

Clamshells are the easiest to replace a crank on, but there's still alot of teardown to get there.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ReggieT

Thanks!
I'm STOKED ABOUT IT!!! 8) dancing-jack dancing-jack taz-smiley smiley_old_guy smiley_deadheader_ride_alligat

Thank You Sponsors!