The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: tigercats new skidder  (Read 4194 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
Re: tigercats new skidder
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 09:22:57 pm »
Its a komatsu d31P-18..  I think about 17,000 lbs.

I have a case 450 crawler loader up north but need to get my CDL-A before i can haul it down.  Thats been a frusterating challenge.

Its a ways off but i will come up with forks and a thumb to go on the case and thatll be a huge help.  Then i have to decide on which machine is suited for winch or grapple or trailer.  Probably pull trailer with d31 and load with 450 forks.

I wont buy a skidder unless logging turns unexpectedly profitable.

that last sentence seems to me like an oxymoron. everywhere is soo different but around here and I would assume A LOT of other places it would be hard to be profitable WITHOUT a rubber tire skidder. unless you are in the mountains and in veneer logs a lot. I hope this didn't come off as smart mouthed but that's the way I see it. skidders are faster and  cheaper than dozers to maintain and built for the purpose. but I do understand that loggin is all they can basically do.

No harm done and i totally agree.  I guess i should have said 'unless my dozer generates unexpected profits.'

I bought the crawler machines in cash when i had it, for building our homestead.  Im a machinist/welder/fabricator .. But all my equipment is still in storage up north so i had to make money however i could. But ive also got 2 young kids.   Logging and dirt work near home was about the only way i could make my own schedule and bring them with me at times.  Savings is gone and its day by day living now. Hopefully temporary. 

Im trying to work my way onto some large neighboring tracts with very good HW stands.  Where i can be profitable even at a snails pace.  If the logs will pay for it, and the terms are right ill buy a skidder, but not before then or by debt.  Little by little i'll build one eventually otherwise.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 10:31:02 pm »
I had a D31E-18 for about 10 years. Was a handy little machine and it made me some money but eventually it had to go because it was too small for what we tackle regularly. It'd carry a beak well enough if you didnt have a lot of logs over about 1 ton or so... I never had a beak on mine but I loaded with it a couple times in desperation by chaining logs to the blade.

Plenty hydraulic flow there to run a grapple on one of them but as a machine (the E at least) it was balanced ass heavy for trim work. Any larger logs we pulled with it ended up chained up to the tree spear and we'd come out backwards because coming out forwards didnt seem to work real well. Those useless pivoting rippers didnt help much with getting the front of a log off the ground either.

Because of the longer dead axles on a P I'd be pretty cautious though... unless you're playing swamp loggers a P is going to give you troubles with dead axles/ duocone seals/ general final drive issues in the woods. How much I dont know... we had a better run with a D83P then we did with a D6D swampy so maybe Komatsu have got that right, or at least righter then Cat.

A loader is a machine designed to load, and any pushing is secondary. Kinda obvious but its your best bet loading.
Skidders make money compared with dozers/crawlers.... except when you go to places a skidder cant go.  Also kinda obvious but bears repeating

Mine had new finals, sprockets and rails put on just before i got it.. So i guess theyre still a weak link on the 18.

The wide pads are a life saver here all winter. Ground doesnt freeze

I skid backwards off the blade too.  No winch at all yet but im considering putting it on front.  You can make the log dance around everything when pulling off a 6 way blade.  I have a fused neck, cant turn around anyway so its fine by me.   Junk like this doesnt pay and takes forever to rig up.

Thats a 41' stick that pays $200 and i can do em 2 at a time..  The pay rate is tolerable enough to continue as i am on good timber.  It'll never hang with a skidder but also do ponds, pads, roads, clearing etc. 

My foremen.

So were you parbuckling logs on with the dozer? Im trying to picture this. 

Offline Riwaka

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:59 am »
The greenish tractor is likely to be a Steiger (unless someone has used the green paint on something else). Steiger had a number of different models so the spec of the tractor needs to checked for id.

Offline longtime lurker

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 04:05:10 pm »
I've never parbuckled a log before, and not in any hurry to do so.

We use wheel loaders where we can. If thats not available (not enough logs to justify shifting a loader/logs too big for a loader to handle) we ramp them. So we push up an earth ramp with the dozer, run the truck in alongside it, then using two saplings for skids we push the log up the ramp and across onto the truck. As a method it works well with big logs or where you'll hit your tonnage in two or three layers of wood on the truck.

A beak is a hydraulic thumb in the middle of the blade that works like a top clamp on a log loader does. It holds the log to the blade which gives greater control when loading off a ramp and means you dont need the saplings to bridge the gap between ramp face and truck. Dozers can lift a lot if it's secured to the blade... gotta remember that those hydraulics can lift up the front half of the dozer and in your case thats like 4 ton.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2017, 04:15:16 pm »
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation

Online Puffergas

• Puffergas
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 05:58:58 am »
Coxy, it's a farm tractor made by Steiger. It is a lot like their Bearcat model but this one was originally sold to AC but got repainted back to Steiger green, a long time ago, by a dealer I'm guessing. Steiger has an interesting history.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 07:24:42 am »
wouldn't take much to put a winch and arch on there  ;D does it seem to get around as good as a skidder would

Online Puffergas

• Puffergas
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:27 pm »
Coxy, it gets around like a small tractor. Steiger did make a few skidder. My guess would be that they would be a bit tipsy. But I could find a place for one of them ! !
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2017, 06:49:56 pm »
was at Tigercat head office today, they are building a new 602 right now so going to go see it here shortly , their waiting on the back frame half right now

Offline Riwaka

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2017, 06:09:49 am »
602 testing - giving it the big pull at the end - loaded grapple and winch.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 06:38:10 am »
I go to the tigercat plant the week of the 25th to see the new 602 cable ,its to be ready to drive then

Offline JBS 181

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 09:23:06 am »
In response to Mike. As he was asking about using a swing boom as a log loader. I have a experienced logger whom brings me logs on occasion and that is how he loads his trailer., ie 28' dual goose neck. I fabricated him up some bunks for it some time back. He grabs a hand full of logs and pulls up along side and sets them in the bunks. Never seen him do it but I am sure he gets by with out busting up too much stuff as I have not had to do any repair yet. He is a one man operation.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:52 pm »
me and a buddy went to ricer equipment (our tigercat dealer) a couple weeks ago and supposedly the first 602 will be at the bunyan show this year. he says he already has two of them sold. he thnks the swing boom will be mainly a Europe machine and the dual arch for America. no single arch made as of yet.do you think these machines will catch on with everything..well most everything getting bigger and log prices NOT getting bigger? i mean that deere already made a smaller sized machine in the 548 size. if the market for these size machines was there it would have been far cheaper for them to modify the 548 to fit the emiisions motor in the motor compartment than for tigercat to start from scratch on this smaller machine. i don't get it. thank God tigercat is WAY smarter than this dumb tree cutter and they prolly got that figured out too.   ;D    I noticed in the video it almost looks like the grapple is not continuous rotation could this be?
john

Offline Riwaka

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 06:01:23 am »
John Deere does the 'Powertrain Relife Plus' scheme for the 540 Glll,(sn 604614 onwards), 548  Glll, (sn 604614 onwards), 540H, 548H, 640H, 648H, 748H, 848H.
Reman on the engine, trans, main hydraulic pump (optional) and axles.
Reman on the old engines that do not require the emissions equipment?