The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: tigercats new skidder  (Read 3842 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
Re: tigercats new skidder
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:30 am »
Looks like awassos beat me to it.  How much?

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 03:55:21 pm »
some one posted about them a while ago and think they are around 80-100k but not a 100%

Offline ohiowoodchuck

• I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »
Could buy several good 540's for that much.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Offline longtime lurker

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 11:59:17 pm »
Ive always been quite confident that our current push towards computerized soft touch fancy pants automated bigger faster quiter more efficient and insanely expensive equipment is not enjoyed by everyone, particularly the cost and complexity of repair at 15k hours.  Im sure that a significant demand could exist for a small winch + DA grapple machine with a 4bt or 6bt, basic spicer/new process/dana/eaton manual tranny and off the shelf manual spool hydraulics with plain old S cam air brakes that actually hold on a hill. Something you can haul on a backhoe trailer with a dually and get parts/hoses at napa.   Maybe even on tractor rubber that doesnt cost $2k per corner. 

I know load sensing and closed center hydraulics is the cats meow but troubleshooting that stuff is over most guys heads and i sure dont want to be at the whim of the one shop who can source that exclusive obsolute part some day. 

Grapple blade ftw.

Problem is new anything costs, and you've got to figure in all the emissions junk.

On rhe other hand tossing 50k at the devil you know and own already can go a fair way with  component overhauls, and you don't need to spend it all at once. Just pick a place and start.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Riwaka

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 03:34:14 am »
At least in 50K overhaul include some paint, some forest/ logging managers etc like to see the shiny paint (even if the machine is well experienced)

(602 display with Charlier crane grapple)

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 09:53:39 am »
So ive been wondering about swing booms.  I see that theyre typically a love or hate item on skidders (and that seems to be based in whether theyre on the right or wrong task application) ...  I am curious how would a swing boom work as a log loader in the woods.. Within reason, for a one man show.

I have a dozer and offroad forklift.  The forklift has to stay on a generous sized landing where it has room to work, and is terrible at short logs, drops them everywhere, cant spin butts around etc.  The dozer is really slow on long skids but it would be tolerable to forward CTL logs on a home made trailer.   That still means dragging logs to a main trail.  I was thinking a swing boom skidder makes sense if it can fetch and load bucked logs on the trailer parked nearby.  One at a time is tolerable if need be.  Still much faster than using the dozer all the way to the landing.  A forestry trailer with loader could work but wont be able to get off the main trail so logs still need to be dragged to the edge.  I could do that with dozer but iron undercarriage is slow and wear is at a higher price than rubber.

A real log loader is the thing im trying to avoid.  It means getting a road tractor,  building culverts and gravel road entrances etc.  Im trying to find max productivity in the medium duty truck size with the least amount of equipment.  want to stay smaller and do less roadbuilding, less insurance etc.  And id love to leave the forklift home.

Thoughts?

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 11:42:38 am »
why not find an old army truck that's all wheel drive should be able to put 1-1500bf on it and go that's what some of the guys around here do they also have loaders on them

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 12:56:40 pm »
I did find a 5ton with a prentice that woulda been great if i could have afforded it.  Im broke for the forseeable future 

I build machines, thats more whats behind my line of questioning.  I have a complete backhoe off a massey 450hx that i considered putting on back my forklift in place of the counterweight.  Im certain itll work well but the forklift is still a landing only machine that cant really be used much in winter here (it rains but doesnt freeze).  I just wonder if the backhoe bits grafted onto a cable skidder could be a little handier and more capable of getting in the woods.   Plus planting the hoe would make a great high pulley mount to winch up out of the hollars.  Thats where the maturest trees usually are on the sites i get into, the ones skipped by the previous logger.

Offline lopet

• Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 12:18:28 am »
You have to figure out your priorities. Is it skidding or loading ?  There is no perfect machine for every task.
I have a Patu swing boom on the back of my skidder, it's not meant to do what the one in the video is doing, but because I am mostly doing firewood and dealing with a lot of small diameter stuff, it's working for me. It has a lot of pros and cons, I can pick up a lost stick on the skid trail with my next drag  or I can pack a couple of them in the grapple on top of the two twitches ( under ideal conditions ) .  It's not a forwarder, visibility is very limited in my case, as the boom is mounted on top of the winch and fairly high. In the bush that can be a disadvantage, as you always have to watch  the hoses on top.  I was thinking of building a trailer  for it but changed my mind, it has also to do with that I can turn my seat only 90 degree and not 180  and I have twelve functions on one joy stick on the right and nothing on the left. I know, that all can be changed, but my point is that there is no " do it all buggy " without limitations.

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 12:45:50 am »
The Euro skidders that have a forwarder crane, clambunk, and 3 winches look like the cat's meow to me.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:53 am »
The Euro skidders that have a forwarder crane, clambunk, and 3 winches look like the cat's meow to me.

:D they have just 2 winches  :D

I would also suggest a eurostyle skidder

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 09:00:57 am »
Looks like a full loader on front of the welte.  Thats pretty rare.

How much trouble can the swing boom get you into in terms of reaching out too far and rolling over?  Are the hydraulics powerful enough to pull the machine over on flat ground?  Does the blade stabilize things at all?

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 05:40:30 pm »
those small awassos  skidders are made in Quebec in 2 different horsepower classes and when I seen them the biggest was about $100,000. Looked ok but my feeling was you needed to be in good timber to make them pay, a small 440 jd would out skid them pretty bad , the 602 looks like a nice machine just need to find out the dollar price and see how things like the doors are , the 610 doors weigh a ton and when cable skidding getting in and out 100 times a day does not seem like fun

Offline lopet

• Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 08:39:09 pm »
Looks like a full loader on front of the welte.  Thats pretty rare.

How much trouble can the swing boom get you into in terms of reaching out too far and rolling over?  Are the hydraulics powerful enough to pull the machine over on flat ground?  Does the blade stabilize things at all?

The front blade only gets about 5' above ground. I wouldn't call it a loader, more of a stacker.
Of coarse you can get the tires of ground when reaching out too far, but you realize pretty quick when instead lifting a load, the wheels go in the air.
Just drop it or try to drag it closer and then lift. Same thing with any other loader or forwarder, no need to roll it.  :)   
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline longtime lurker

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 03:20:23 am »
What size dozer are you running mike_belben?  Been a lot of logs loaded with a beak on the blade, though as a system it suits large or long logs.

I think that my perfect solution to doing much with little  would be a larger grapple skidder around a Clark 667 size and a trackloader around cat 953 class on single bar grousers with a winch. Thatd give me the rubber +grapple mix for fast and long hauls and a loader that can go/push where a skidder can't get to.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 02:39:20 pm »
Its a komatsu d31P-18..  I think about 17,000 lbs.

I have a case 450 crawler loader up north but need to get my CDL-A before i can haul it down.  Thats been a frusterating challenge.

Its a ways off but i will come up with forks and a thumb to go on the case and thatll be a huge help.  Then i have to decide on which machine is suited for winch or grapple or trailer.  Probably pull trailer with d31 and load with 450 forks.

I wont buy a skidder unless logging turns unexpectedly profitable.

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 05:01:51 pm »
Its a komatsu d31P-18..  I think about 17,000 lbs.

I have a case 450 crawler loader up north but need to get my CDL-A before i can haul it down.  Thats been a frusterating challenge.

Its a ways off but i will come up with forks and a thumb to go on the case and thatll be a huge help.  Then i have to decide on which machine is suited for winch or grapple or trailer.  Probably pull trailer with d31 and load with 450 forks.

I wont buy a skidder unless logging turns unexpectedly profitable.

that last sentence seems to me like an oxymoron. everywhere is soo different but around here and I would assume A LOT of other places it would be hard to be profitable WITHOUT a rubber tire skidder. unless you are in the mountains and in veneer logs a lot. I hope this didn't come off as smart mouthed but that's the way I see it. skidders are faster and  cheaper than dozers to maintain and built for the purpose. but I do understand that loggin is all they can basically do.

Offline longtime lurker

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 05:15:25 pm »
I had a D31E-18 for about 10 years. Was a handy little machine and it made me some money but eventually it had to go because it was too small for what we tackle regularly. It'd carry a beak well enough if you didnt have a lot of logs over about 1 ton or so... I never had a beak on mine but I loaded with it a couple times in desperation by chaining logs to the blade.

Plenty hydraulic flow there to run a grapple on one of them but as a machine (the E at least) it was balanced ass heavy for trim work. Any larger logs we pulled with it ended up chained up to the tree spear and we'd come out backwards because coming out forwards didnt seem to work real well. Those useless pivoting rippers didnt help much with getting the front of a log off the ground either.

Because of the longer dead axles on a P I'd be pretty cautious though... unless you're playing swamp loggers a P is going to give you troubles with dead axles/ duocone seals/ general final drive issues in the woods. How much I dont know... we had a better run with a D83P then we did with a D6D swampy so maybe Komatsu have got that right, or at least righter then Cat.

A loader is a machine designed to load, and any pushing is secondary. Kinda obvious but its your best bet loading.
Skidders make money compared with dozers/crawlers.... except when you go to places a skidder cant go.  Also kinda obvious but bears repeating

Offline Puffergas

• Puffergas
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 06:52:00 pm »
Sure like the 125E, forks would be handy. It is a keeper but so is the 225 Timberjack. A wheeled skidder can make production.

Good luck !
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 09:03:04 pm »
nice loader   what is the 4x4 monster that's neat