iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parbuckling question

Started by Ditchdoc, July 25, 2017, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Nice equipment trailer. You still could add a arch and build it to were you can unbolt it. The way your trailer it built, that would be easy and 10x more easy to load logs from the back. ;D

Kbeitz

I made my arch unboltable. Two large bolts and it's off.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Winch rope frays very easily when rubbing on rocks or sharp objects. The best reason to have it is no kinetic energy. So when it snaps is usually just drops to the ground.

It is required for many competitions because of the improved safety factor over steel cable.

Ditchdoc

Anyone here using a Warn 8274 on a trailer? If so how did you mount it? Hope to look at if Tue. Think it was manufactured in 1976.

Kbeitz

I have a Warn . I put class 3 hitches on everything and the winch is in a carrier. I use fork lift plugins .

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WranglerSS

I made a receiver mount for my Warn M8000 winch. My gooseneck trailer has a 2" receiver welded on the front of the bed so for parbuckling I use a snachblock on the opposite side to redirect the line.

Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Ditchdoc

The 8274 mounts vertically. Pic of one:

has to mount on something like this:

Could weld a 2" tube to the bottom of the mount or see if it would bolt to a Curt or DrawTite receiver mount.
Another consideration is weight, thing weighs ~130#.

WranglerSS

The 8274 Warns are heavy but by far the fastest winch made.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Magicman

I had one on the front of a '68 Bronco, and it was bullet proof.  I do not recall that it was that heavy because I could pick it up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I have no idea how much my 16,500 with the carrier weights.
I can pick it up but I would not want to have to carry it to far.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mart

Here's a few pictures from back before I had a sawmill. I'm loading up some birch logs for a trip to a sawyer.  And parbuckling is the correct term. I have since fabricated better ramps for the purpose and still use the four wheeler for a power source.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Quebecnewf

You can par buckle just about anything . Like a solar kiln that blew over in a storm

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OffGrid973

Sounds like a new competition brewing, prizes given out at the next pig roast. 

Most Elaborate Par Buckling - 2017

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Darrel

I parbuckled logs onto the back of my '49 GMC truck before I knew it was called parbuckling.  If asked I would have told you a parbuckle was a belt buckle worn by a golfer. Shirley that must be worth something elaborate or not.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Many years ago I parbuckled a VW  in to the back of my trailer
so I could take it to the junkyard.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Wait! you took something to the junkyard?

All of my hopes and dreams have been crushed.

Nah J/k....

Darrel

It's ok Crusarius, he was young and foolish back then.  ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crusarius

few, thank goodness :) I am glad he grew out of that.

outpost22

Quote from: Crusarius on August 11, 2017, 12:19:25 PM
Winch rope frays very easily when rubbing on rocks or sharp objects. The best reason to have it is no kinetic energy. So when it snaps is usually just drops to the ground.

It is required for many competitions because of the improved safety factor over steel cable.

So true.  In areas I can't get my tractor, I can't count how many times my Warn 8000 with steel cable has dragged logs over rocks that a braided rope would not hold up to.   As with all our equipment, caution is the word.   Rope would be nice for the weight savings, but cable durability is more important to me.  Now if I only used it at the beach...
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Kbeitz

Not all of it... I kept the bottom half...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Quote from: outpost22 on September 29, 2017, 10:46:08 AM
Quote from: Crusarius on August 11, 2017, 12:19:25 PM

So true.  In areas I can't get my tractor, I can't count how many times my Warn 8000 with steel cable has dragged logs over rocks that a braided rope would not hold up to.   As with all our equipment, caution is the word.   Rope would be nice for the weight savings, but cable durability is more important to me.  Now if I only used it at the beach...

Rope also acts as an insulator retaining the heat around the drum. The steel is so much better for heat dissipation.

drobertson

I learned it by an ole timer,, green saplings, not(switches) of course,,he notched them to hold from sliding during the sag portion, but this was in the timber back then, in fact we did a few just the same,,we liked the cable for the rolling part, and a chain for the  anchor point. Big ends will walk ahead, so have a hook on the ready, cable allows for nice re-adjusting, for straighter loads, back stops are important, and as an old boss use to say, at all cost, try to avoid the lazy man's load,, may be an old saying,,but after a few mis haps, I soon learned the reason,, 
I need to add, I since the early days, added some heavy wall piping, (heavy wall) , to my tools,,but now, I can't lift them, Length has its advantages, and disadvantages,,short is good for a limited loading area, while the longer ones help when going higher.  It works, has for years, not saying it's always easy.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SineWave

Quote from: Crusarius on September 29, 2017, 07:46:50 AM
Wait! you took something to the junkyard?

All of my hopes and dreams have been crushed.

:D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!