iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parbuckling question

Started by Ditchdoc, July 25, 2017, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditchdoc

About got this ready to haul logs on, loading by parbuckling. Do I need to worry about shoring up the load side or does it look heavy enough to skip it?

I have 3 pieces of 2x2 1/4 for the ramps. Wondered if I might need to put a jack at least under the outside pieces.

Magicman

Loading a 42" butt Red Oak.  No need for outriggers, but I did learn to lay some old tires in the trailer bed, but with no sides, you will not have that "dropping" problem.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Well, I think its called Parbucking, not buckling :D :D

All kidding aside, that is a sweet trailer you have there.  When you say 2x2½, I'm assuming steel, not wood ramps.  If that is "structural steel" that is C shaped, it may bend on you with a big log.

Here is my little wimpy trailer.  I put a 3,500# axle with electric brakes on it.  It is an old boat trailer that I added 3# structural steel cross pieces and some 2x3x¼" angle on the rear so I could have a flat deck.  In the background you can see my super heavy duty ramps (upside down).  They are 4# structural steel on edge with 2x2x3/16" angle iron "treads".  They act as log rests (sort of) and I can stick a 4x4 in to hold a log as we preposition the cable.  I think that load was a bit over 3,000#s.

My trailer does not move much as the logs come up the ramps - just keep it attached to the tow vehicle.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

streetdoc

Ramps are 2" x 2"  1/4" wall square steel tubing.

Ljohnsaw

Hmmm, are Streetdoc and Ditchdoc related?

There is not a lot of "beam strength" in a 2x2 tube.  But it all depends on what your are loading.  If'n you are just doing 12-14" logs that are 12-14' long, probably ok.  But if you try that with a 2,000# 27" dbh log, I'm bettin' they would bend.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

paul case

I just sawed out a couple 4x6-8' for my ramps.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

kelLOGg

That looks like a heavy tandem axle trailer. I don't think the load side needs shoring up. I don't shore mine up and it is not as heavy looking as yours.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 25, 2017, 06:24:33 PM
Actually in the South it is called "Cross Hauling".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

Always use caution . Know exactly how much each log weighs and capacity of tires , trailer , truck etc. Plan on coming home with ten fingers and ten toes!
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ditchdoc

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 26, 2017, 07:57:33 AM
That looks like a heavy tandem axle trailer. I don't think the load side needs shoring up. I don't shore mine up and it is not as heavy looking as yours.

Are your ramps steel tubing? My deck is 32-33" high.

Ditchdoc

Quote from: red on July 26, 2017, 08:37:08 AM
Always use caution . Know exactly how much each log weighs and capacity of tires , trailer , truck etc. Plan on coming home with ten fingers and ten toes!

Yea, going to get the trailer weighed. Have a SRW F-350 to pull it with.

kelLOGg

Are your ramps steel tubing? My deck is 32-33" high.
[/quote]

My ramps are 2" x 4" x 8' with a 3/16 wall. I have bent them so now I use midway supports (seen in the pic) for heavy logs. My trailer is 28" high.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ditchdoc

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 25, 2017, 06:24:33 PM

Google returns parbuckling results if you search for parbucking.

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, well, you learn something new every day. smiley_dizzy  I assumed headscratch the root was from bucking hay - that is to stack it.  But parbuckling is for moving round objects using rotational advantage.  Seems around here the term parbucking is used most often - unless I was not reading clearly (probably...)
John Sawicky

Sixacresand

I first used parbucking to load round hay bales.  This was before I had a sawmill and before I was reading the Forum and I didn't know the method had a name.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mike_belben

The trailer will be fine.  Make some drop in bunks to go in stake pockets for the far side so you dont roll them right onto yourself.  Id make the standards two tiers high, that trailer can take plenty. 

For the ramps, truss the underside with a strap of rebar or banding in tension, laid over one or two standoffs at the midpoint, if theres any question about them folding up.   
Praise The Lord

Ditchdoc

Got a lead on a Warn 8274 winch. No cable on it. Would you consider synthetic rope or go back with cable for abrasion resistance?

fishfighter

Quote from: Ditchdoc on August 09, 2017, 11:20:01 AM
Got a lead on a Warn 8274 winch. No cable on it. Would you consider synthetic rope or go back with cable for abrasion resistance?

Cable. Also, get yourself some 4"x4" and run them across the deck. That will make it a lot easy to unload. You can make up some 45 degree chocks to nail in the 4x4's for blocking.

WranglerSS

Why is cable preferred over winch rope for parbuckling? I have used rope for years doing extreme offloading and recovery. To me rope seems safer.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Kbeitz

The synthetic rope made for winches will not spring back and take you off your feet it you
break it. it just falls to the ground. Try that with nylon or cable and you might not live to tell
about it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chop Shop

Rope is for fishing boats and tree guys.

Its been marketed to offroad people because its lightweight and very profitable when cut into 100' sections and the ends braided around a thimble.   BIG money to be made by telling 4x4ers how safe fishing rope is for their winch.

You wont see rope used for skidding logs on logging sites, on tow trucks, cranes, or any commercial rig other than tree service (cuz its light) and fishing boats (cuz it wont rust).

fishfighter

Quote from: WranglerSS on August 10, 2017, 08:36:52 AM
Why is cable preferred over winch rope for parbuckling? I have used rope for years doing extreme offloading and recovery. To me rope seems safer.

Look at it this way, trucks, jeeps have wheels, logs don't. If your trailer that you have is just for logs, look into a arch and load from the back. So much easy and you are out the way if a cable pops.

This is mine that I built. I can remove the arch by unbolting two bolts. ;D

WranglerSS

Quote from: Chop Shop on August 10, 2017, 02:17:10 PM
Rope is for fishing boats and tree guys.

Its been marketed to offroad people because its lightweight and very profitable when cut into 100' sections and the ends braided around a thimble.   BIG money to be made by telling 4x4ers how safe fishing rope is for their winch.

You wont see rope used for skidding logs on logging sites, on tow trucks, cranes, or any commercial rig other than tree service (cuz its light) and fishing boats (cuz it wont rust).

Tow trucks do use MasterPull 3/4" winch rope on rollbacks in my neck of the woods.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Ben Cut-wright

Tow trucks do use MasterPull 3/4" winch rope on rollbacks in my neck of the woods.
[/quote]

Their website lists 262 foot of 3/4" synthetic tow truck and wrecker rope at $5,334.  And...they are out of it!

Ditchdoc

If your trailer that you have is just for logs, look into a arch and load from the back. So much easy and you are out the way if a cable pops.

[/quote]

Not going to be exclusively for logs.

Thank You Sponsors!