iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow jackets... HELP

Started by WH_Conley, July 24, 2017, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SineWave

Crusarius

Bees 1 Crus 0.... The war begins.

I can honestly say that I never thought of holding my breath during the attack. All I could think of was a lot of bad words ow  some more bad words and run.

There was a trail of stuff along my escape path.

I really really hate nasty bees!

Crusarius

These are my friends. I would like you all to meet future dead bug 1 :)

MbfVA

trying to upload video of the recently successful demise of a yellow jacket nest, of a lone frustrated survivor, but the system won't take the file.   I will research it through the health portion of the site and edit the post.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Peter Drouin

I have not seen any nest this summer. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crusarius

careful peter you just doomed yourself. I went all summer with nothing then 2 big ones.

Logger RK

Around my area it seems most outdoor folks iv talked to have noticed a lot more yellow jackets then ever remembering. When I'm processing pulp with my Hahn,and set a grapple of fresh cut Aspen on the pile there's swarm's of them. I don't have air conditioning in my cab so the door & windows are open. Every once in awhile a group comes in the cab to check it out. I haven't been bit yet. But two of Son's have in the last two days. I'm wondering if all the extra rain we've gotten this summer has any effect on there numbers. I believe we're 6-7 inches above a average summer.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Crusarius on September 11, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
careful peter you just doomed yourself. I went all summer with nothing then 2 big ones.

:D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

trapper

2nd  time this year I had to evict them from my LT30 mill frame
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Crusarius

That has been a consideration on my build. I don't want any crevices for them to be able to nest in.

grouch

Quit pestering those pretty bugs.

Dogs like to snatch yellowjackets out of the air.
Find something to do that interests you.

samandothers

This weekend I ran the mill for the first time in a while.  I did this with a can of raid.  Wasps 0 Sam 14.  I saw quite a few yellow jackets around the mill but no next.  When I went to dump the grapple load of waste on the brush pile I found the nest.  After dumping the load on the pile I could see them swarming around the pile in the sunlight.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: MbfVA on September 11, 2017, 07:51:04 PM
trying to upload video of the recently successful demise of a yellow jacket nest, of a lone frustrated survivor, but the system won't take the file.   I will research it through the health portion of the site and edit the post.

MbfVA,

Videos are not uploaded to the Forestry Forum site. Instead, upload the video to YouTube, then put a link in your post on FF to the YouTube video.

HTH

Herb

WH_Conley

My BIL laughed at me when I got in the nest. He got into 2.
Bill

loganworks2

I use a spray made for dairy barns that has permethrin in it. It will not only kill the yellow jackets it will also keep them from returning. They hate the smell

Crusarius

the seven I puffed them with yesterday seems to have killed them. I see no signs of any activity tonight.

YellowHammer

We were dove hunting the day before yesterday and my wife bent down to pick up a bird.  I heard her yell and grab her eyes and I ran over.  A yellow jacket had gotten in behind her sunglasses and got trapped.  It stung her twice right next to her eye, and the when she whipped her glasses off, she got hit on her thumb.

End of the hunt for her.  She pretty much already had her limit already, so she wasn't too upset. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

MbfVA

Now is the time to nail them, before the queens hibernate and the workers die anyway.   Unfed queen+dead workers =  Soon starved queen & no colony next year.

sorry to hear about your wife's run in.  Lucky the thing didn't get into her eye itself--I can sense very bad consequences in that case.
these bees are not smart. Here's the results of my latest clear container upside down trick. I also dusted down some Perm. dust  The night before.

those guys have definitely lost their buzz.

sure wish the window for these post was sizable, and that Siri was a better dictation vehicle

btulloh

I read about an interesting way to help control yellow jackets a while back.  It said to put out yellow jacket traps early in the spring when the fertilized queens are first emerging from their winter headquarters.  April around here usually.  The queens have to go forage when they first emerge until the first workers are hatched.  The queens will end up in the traps and no colonies form.  It makes sense to me.

I put out a few traps last spring and caught 4 or 5 queens.  It would probably have been more, but a peculiar weather pattern the previous year seemed to have eliminated a lot of yellow jackets.  We had an early spring with a couple late freezes, and I think it killed off a lot of queens.  There have been very few yellow jackets around since that happened.   Less is good.  None is great.
HM126

MbfVA

Seems like more out here though, and we're only a few miles from you, BT.

Are you going to the Field Day of the Past show this weekend in Centerville? I know Marty Parsons and his group will be there with the orange stuff.

For those out of our area, this is a big demonstration weekend for old ways/ nostalgia  and techniques, and a lot of new ways, too, like saw mills.

Kbeitz

yellow jackets are beneficial insects. They feed their young on humans and insects that would
otherwise damage crops and ornamental plants in your garden.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

A few days after we got married my MIL up in N. Ala mowed into a nest of them and they got up her pants legs and she just left them in the yard. She was a large lady and I suspect it was a real sight. Of course it was Ala and folks probably just thought she was a UA fan and subject to fits of lunacy. I think it was the old style mower without a safety switch and it kept running till it ran out of gas.

On a more serious note I sawed for a client in Fayetteville WV 2 weeks ago. Their former sheriff was killed and they had a big funeral while I was there. Apparently he was mowing and mowed into a nest and was killed by wasps - I assume they were yellow jackets. We had nest in our log pile we had to contend with but fortunately we never got stung.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

I actually had planned on letting them live. Then they attacked me. My plans suddenly changed. Just glad they got me and not my wife or 2 year old.

7 seemed to work great on vanquishing the nest in the wall of my garage.

I do wonder if the yellow jackets I had around kept the less desirable bees from nesting there?

grouch

There are plenty of 'summer pears' on the road this year. I might have enough yellow jackets to send some to all of y'all. I'll just tell the UPS man they're battery powered buzzers and I forgot to remove the batteries.

Find something to do that interests you.

btulloh

Quote from: MbfVA on September 13, 2017, 09:40:52 AM
Seems like more out here though, and we're only a few miles from you, BT.

Are you going to the Field Day of the Past show this weekend in Centerville? I know Marty Parsons and his group will be there with the orange stuff.

For those out of our area, this is a big demonstration weekend for old ways/ nostalgia  and techniques, and a lot of new ways, too, like saw mills.

I really don't know why, but there's been a lot less of them for two years now.  Just guessing about the early freeze, otherwise I have no idea why. 

I do plan to go to FDOTP this year.  It's always a good event.  Amazing actually.  That thing has really grown and grown.  Something for everybody.  I'd like to take some good pix and post them on here.  It's hard to really capture it with a camera.  I need a drone.

Are you going?  We should meet up. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!