The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Yellow jackets... HELP  (Read 4552 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Yellow jackets... HELP
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:32 pm »
Kbeitz,

Did your dad thank you for getting rid of the yellowjackets for him?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:33 pm »
Ether or something related to it is an important ingredient in most wasp and hornet killer knockdown products. You've got a watch out, because if only ether gets on them, they will wake up in some cases.   Talk about waking up on the wrong side of the bed…

I think the times this happened to me were when I forgot to shake the can before shooting.
www.ordinary.com (really)
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline MbfVA

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 12:11:36 pm »
 Bear in mind that if they have gotten into a house where the foundation meets the lap siding, as they did here this summer, their nest could be as much as 30 to 50 feet away from the opening to the outside, per what I have read.

I caulked and caulked and sprayed and sprayed, shot dust up into the siding, etc.   For the longest time they kept finding a new way to get in and out.  It took almost 2 weeks to completely get rid of them ( I hope I'm right).

I worry about what was left behind, because it looks like it must've been a big nest based on the numbers I saw outside.  Apparently scavengers like ants love to feast on the remains.  For all I know they could be in our stud wall section based on where the opening was. I have noticed more ants in that vicinity, inside in our kitchen recently.
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »
I had a big old busted half log laying by the firewood pile one time. I went to move it fell off the end of the forks. and the Yellow Jackets were not happy. I hurried up and got out of there. The Chickens were very happy. Obviously Yellow Jackets don't bother chickens.
Bill

Offline MbfVA

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:36 pm »
Some of you may be familiar with it but for the benefit of newcomers to the ground wasp problem, here's a nonintuitive solution:
Identify where the nest opening is (yes, usually there is only one)
 Obtain a clear glass bowl around 9 to 12 inches in diameter or so
Come back at dusk or after, to that opening that you bravely marked during the day
 Spray some water around the opening, not too much because you don't want to wake them up
 Put a ring of lime or cement powder, anything powdered that you can use to create a seal, around the opening, such that you can plop the bowl down over it and have a reasonable seal; wet it a little bit if necessary
 Plop the bowl down over the opening, and into the lime seal that you created,  doing your best to seal it against the lime/ground
The not so smart bees will come out the next morning and fly against the glass relentlessly until they die of dehydration and starvation.  For reasons known only to insect science, they will not create a new opening.  I guess it is because they die before they figure out that they're not gonna be able to get through the glass.

Perhaps they share some genes with the common skunk, that will stand his or her ground in the middle of the road and wait for a car to hit it because it cannot believe anything would dare mess with it.  For lots of laughs on that subject, go to the public television website and seek out the NOVA program called "Is that skunk?",  it may still be available.

Take note it does not work to simply block the hole opaquely as I did on my siding problem.  Apparently if they can't see out, they do go create another way in and out.
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline MbfVA

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 01:22:00 pm »
...The Chickens were very happy. Obviously Yellow Jackets don't bother chickens.

Must be the feathers, or/and chickens are really quick as you might have observed.  I wonder if guinea fowl will eat them, too, since we want to get a couple for their tick eating proclivity.  They make a good farm doorbell as well.
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 01:24:07 pm »
After dark I will pour a cup of gas in the hole and lay a board on top.  The fumes will take care of them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline MbfVA

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 01:47:13 pm »
After dark I will pour a cup of gas in the hole and lay a board on top.  The fumes will take care of them.

That's definitely the easiest solution.

But, and please don't brand me as a tree hugger, if you've got a well anywhere near there, consider that a really small amount of petroleum product will contaminate a LOT of ground water over time.

Plus, lime etc is a whole lot cheaper than gas 💰😇
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline MbfVA

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 01:48:20 pm »
 Maybe we could consider lime as "white gas" instead of "straight gas"…
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:06 pm »
I have also used Anchorseal, in a sprayer....it just kind of glues them up....and they won't end check anymore.
Was this one of those desperate times call for desperate measures type of moments? :D :D
More than once.  There's not a bug flying that can take a load of white gooey waxy Anchorseal full in the face. 

Delta dust works well.  The most effective I've used is a three bottom plow, and a tractor in high gear going away...That was fun. 

In the fall, I bait my carpenter bee traps with a little meat, and the yellow jackets will go in and die.  So will the wasps.

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 03:10:21 pm »
I had a big old busted half log laying by the firewood pile one time. I went to move it fell off the end of the forks. and the Yellow Jackets were not happy. I hurried up and got out of there. The Chickens were very happy. Obviously Yellow Jackets don't bother chickens.
Reminds me of the time right after I got my little Gravely tractor with a 30" bushhog on the front. I was cutting multiflora roses in the pasture on the hillside and ran the mower up into a nest of yellowjackets and ticked them off. One stung me and I slammed the tractor into reverse and backed out of there as quick as possible. Just my luck - I backed into a little walnut and it had a big hornet nest on the first limb about 6' high and several of them came out and stung me. I figured with my luck the next thing to happen would be I would turn over and get pinned in a nest of copperheads. Just one of those days.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 05:39:35 pm »
On the News last night was a report of unusually high numbers of yellow jackets.  We normally get a lot at the end of summer and are called Meat Bees as they attack/bite any meat (including people).  I guess they are building up supplies for winter.  Anyhow, they think it is because of our unusual wet winter (normal but after 4 years of drought) and a hotter early summer (100-109 for a few weeks already) they have peaked early.  I've noticed that they are huge this year.  They all look like queens.

They sent a team down to an area south of Sacramento to do a report.  A person with a fair amount of land (IIRC 1 or 2 acres) had 90 (ninety!) in-ground nests!  They were poisoning them and then did a demo - they placed a big plexiglass box over the hole and banged it.  A big swarm was buzzing about in the box.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline dustyhat

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 07:09:25 pm »
I always heared if you hold your breath they wont sting you. but i never been able to think of it in time.
Running a custom built stationary bandmill with a slightly modded four cyl jeep go devil engine.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 07:17:48 pm »
Turkeys just love bees. When working in the Christmas trees and when we came to a nest
we would just mow around it and the next day the turkeys would find them and clean house.
You would laugh to watch them eating. Every so often one would get stung and jump 3-4
feet in the air.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 11:04:29 pm »
Or you could entice one of our Texas members to send you an armadillo or two. Their armored hide is impervious to stings, and they will dig out the nest and eat the grubs...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 11:14:58 pm »
I always heared if you hold your breath they wont sting you. but i never been able to think of it in time.

I'd like to see if that works but I don't want to be the first one to try it.  Plus I can't run and curse while holding my breath.

I haven't had any trouble getting rid of a nest.  I'd like to find a better way to locate a nest that doesn't involve getting stung though.
HM126

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 05:30:21 am »
You could always just dig them out...

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 05:58:05 am »
You could always just dig them out...

Only recommended if you have a space suit on.  :D

As for finding the nest, I usually just go with the "watch quietly" method. Sit for a couple of minutes and watch where the wasps are going to and from. The German wasps shown in the video are nasty if you disturb them like that, but if you are just standing there 3 ft from the nest, they just ignore you and fly past.

Once you have it's location, come back after dark with a can of gas and sack. Pour the gas in the hole and stick the sack over the top to keep the fumes in.

We did have a nest of them get into the ceiling a couple of years back. Not a good location for petrol bombing. Lara woke up in the morning with dozens of wasps buzzing her bedroom. Bug bombed her room, and set up a bait station under their exit hole on the outside wall.(again, just watch quietly and you can spot it). Took a couple of days, but we got them all.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 09:11:28 am »
I only have one question about the video. Why? ??? ??? ???
Bill

Offline highleadtimber16

• Learning Everyday
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:11 am »
Brake Kleen. It will kill everything in its path ;) I used it a few days ago on a nest in my machine.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension, Patrick Model A Loader, 75 Hitachi, Stihl 461, 2X066, & ms 192

Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.