Fire retardant wood sealer recommendations/info

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, July 24, 2017, 08:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

I'm doing some work on my house and am wanting to use rough sawn cedar for trim and such. I added basically a lean-to room addition where in which I will be leaving it a high ceiling (ceiling at the rafters) and adding exposed half- trusses every 4' or so made from rough sawn cedar 3x's or 4x's and using drywall between each truss.

I will be installing a wood furnace in this room so I would like to seal the exposed cedar with a fire resistant sealer. I want it to look good and keep the red cedar color.

Anyone have experience with fire resistant wood sealers? Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

VictorH

Have you found a fire resistant wood sealer?  The only UL listed fire coatings I know of are not clear.

Victor

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: VictorH on July 24, 2017, 03:14:49 PM
Have you found a fire resistant wood sealer?  The only UL listed fire coatings I know of are not clear.

Victor

One I seen online is called "Flame Stop II", it says it dries clear but I don't know anything about it quality wise. Another is called ArmStrong-Clark stain, which says it is available with fire retardant. I would be fine with staining the cedar but I want to stay away from paint.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Bruno of NH

I worked on renovating an old inn in Nh
Before we could get a CO we had a painting contractor apply a fire protecting product on all the old fir trim and it was clear
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

VictorH

Really like learning about new stuff.  Doing some research after seeing your responses I see there are several.  One I found is called Flame Resist.  They say is need to be applied to raw wood or other absorbent material.  Thanks guys

Kbeitz

BURN BARRIERâ„¢ 6 CLEAR WOOD SEALER
FOR BURN BARRIER 166 & 167 CLASS "A" FIRE RETARDANT VARNISH SYSTEM.

http://www.fireretardantsinc.com/varnish/varnish_burn_barrier.html
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work