iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 357xp not working after repair

Started by TwoBobs27, July 24, 2017, 07:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoBobs27

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum but been reading posts for some time!
I recently bought a 357xp as it is the same I use at work and a great workhorse I find! I got it at a good price, albeit from eBay so it might not have been 100% kosher!
In my eagerness I fired it up and ran it on the fuel it was sent with - bad idea! Bad fuel mix = scored piston! Or so I thought. Whether it was scored already I'll never know I was too keen to get it running.
I bought a new pot and piston with original part number 537 24 85 02. OEM . And had it fitted by a professional. It started up and idled perfectly the first time - which it hadn't managed to do before. All good. Until I started to work with it. Logging a few conifer branches and it started getting hot and tired again after 10 mins. Struggled to start back up and eventually just gave up.
The fuel had been flushed out and replaced with correct 2 stroke mix using Stihl oil. Is there anything else that could be causing this? or should I just cut my losses and admit to buying a dodgy saw?!
Cheers!

dougand3

I'd take it back to the pro that installed the new cylinder and piston. Could be lots of things...air leak, tank vent, fuel delivery, failing coil, flywheel slipped out of timing.
You can try starting saw when cool. If it starts running poorly, open fuel cap immediately. If running improves - shows tank vent trouble.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

TwoBobs27

Thanks that helps, I'll give it a try. I'm guessing with the new appropriate fuel mix the new piston should still be intact and it's most likely one of the things you mentioned?

dougand3

If it's a new piston, ring and cylinder - you don't think scoring. You can pull muffler and look. You can check compression - should be 140+ PSI. After saw doesn't start, you can pull spark plug and see if it's wet or dry - If wet, carb could be flooding combustion chamber. If dry, carb is dirty or fuel pump diaphragm is stiff. If saw doesn't have a new or rebuilt carb - worth exploring.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

krusty

I scorched mine as well for who knows what reason and took a chance with a low cost offshore engine kit for it. Also put on a Zama carb as well. That was about 4 years ago now and it has never run this good even when new!

Go toss that Wadbro and get a Zama for it.

Thank You Sponsors!