iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STIHL MS 261 C-M Chains

Started by Robes, July 29, 2017, 01:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robes

Hello, Newbe here-

I bought a replacement chain for my new 261 CM. It has a 20" Rollomatic E Standard (PN 3003 008 6821) guide bar and the Oilomatic 26 RM3 81 (PN 3634 005 0081) both "green Label" Low Kickback bar & chain. I bought some other things and didn't notice till I got home it was the wrong chain. I told him I have the part number but no, he didn't need it.
  So, I ordered (Reserved) the correct chain but didn't see anywhere on Stihl's site the chain he sold me. That questionable chain is PN 3639 005 0081 , 26RS 81 , pitch is .325 & gauge .063. I assume it would fit but it is "Yellow Labeled". I also assume, since the Yellow code, it is an aggressive chain more prone to kickback, although I could not find this information on the Stihl website. Thinking I may keep the chain but only if it will work on my guide bar, oils properly, does anyone know?  pc_smiley
TIA Robes-

PNWRusty

I just put that chain (rapid super) on my 261 C and like it a lot. Cuts fast. Yes, it will oil properly. I stay pretty alert when I'm holding a saw with a spinning chain so it doesn't bother me to use a chain without anti-kickback feature.

Ianab

It will work fine, as long as you are carefull

From the Baileys web page.
Quote26RS is a fast cutting chisel chain which work best in clean cutting conditions, where there is limited contact with dirt and other abrasive materials. This chain has no significant kickback reduction features (See warnings below), but does has the added benefit of lower vibration levels as compared to the older style 26RS chain. It is recommended for professional use only.

They don't sell it on non-professional saws in the US because of legal liability, but you are free to fit it yourself later.  It should cut faster than the "green" chain, and works better for plunge cutting. But take extra care with kickback, and keep it out of the dirt.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

btulloh

Is it a good idea to switch to something besides the RS chain for stumping or other dirty work? 

I run the Stihl RS chain on the MS362 and my fine old 026 but I keep some other chains around - even some green Oregon chains (which I really don't like). I rarely switch to those.  The RS is really good but does dull quickly when doing cleanup work.  I just figure that goes with the territory.
HM126

PNWRusty

I don't have to cut much dirty wood. But dirty wood is a good way to use up the green chains.  ;D

btulloh

Problem is those green Oregon chains always seem the depth gauges are too high.  I guess that's the green working, but they just don't feed.
HM126

Robes

Thanks everyone for the info- My question was answered and then some! Lots here on the Forestry Forum to keep me busy for quite some time, a good night for me to surf this forum.... Thanks again everyone  sail_smiley
TIA Robes-

Thank You Sponsors!