The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: engine piston clearances and ring groove clearance  (Read 954 times)

Offline Texas-Jim

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: engine piston clearances and ring groove clearance
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
Al_Smith true on racers but remember they rejet saws from one place to another. They constantly have to compensate for altitude, humidity even wood type. And i don't think they really care how long saws last. Id bet saws are torn down a lot to make sure things are right.

We can debate on oils all day but honest truth is I'm not sure oil plays that big of a role in engine failure. Does extra oil lean it out? Yes but I don't think its a death blow. The chip saws may have more trouble dealing with extreme oil mixes but old carbs are in lot of ways more capable of dealing with user actions. Just because the user alters the mix ratio that rarely is that a reason for immediate failure. Iv learned its almost always fuel/air mix or pushing the saw past its design perimeters.

But I still like oil debates. ;D
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
Re: engine piston clearances and ring groove clearance
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »
We're never going to agree about  it but we will debate it forever .Truthfully oils of all types are better these days that in times of yore .

Now then the gent was asking about ring gaps and somebody other than myself had to opened the great never ending debate of oils once again and had to mention Billy Bob,I don't know him myself .I do know Bubba though.
I haven't gaped a set of rings since I was 15 years old,nearly 55 years ago .That was  cast iron rings for a Allis -Chalmers 1938 model B tractor .Any more they just fit without any tweaking .Back 55 years ago they might be tad over sized .BTW that old tractor still runs great .Billy Bob didn't have a thing to do with it . 8)