iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling forked tree advice

Started by bryan9915, July 20, 2017, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryan9915

Need some advice.  To be fair I am not sure if it is a forked tree, 2 trees that grew together, or a really low branch.  I have attached some pictures for reference. I have limited experience trimming and felling but think this is something I can handle.  As you can see the majority of the area is clear and the branch would be able to just fall.  The issue is the fence near the tree (hard to see due to vines and other overgrowth).  The fence (circled in blue) is all rusted together so there is no way to remove sections.  Is there a method to cut it enough to let the end fall but have enough fiber left to remain attached to the trunk.  Then I can trim it and cut it into manageable sections.  The branch/tree connects to the big trunk about 3 feet off the ground.  Any other suggestions? TIA

TKehl

Not the safest, but cutting a couple foot from the base and only from the top will make an intentional split.  Have done this on many leaning trees along fence lines.  Works better ones that are a bit smaller than that one.

This only works on live trees/limbs without rot.

Cut from top and you will hear it start to split.  Cut slow and the split/droop can give a bit of a controlled fall.  Sometimes there are surprises though and it will just snap and break. 

If in doubt, hire someone to come do a cut and drop.  Would be a quick easy job for a tree service.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

grouch

Get a pole saw and start at the droopy end. Lighten the load as much as you can -- cut all the little branches -- and work your way back to the base.
Find something to do that interests you.

DDW_OR

Quote from: grouch on July 20, 2017, 12:26:49 PM
Get a pole saw and start at the droopy end. Lighten the load as much as you can -- cut all the little branches -- and work your way back to the base.
i agree, start at the leafy end (right hand side) and work back to the trunk (left hand side).

could cut the branch a couple feet to the right of the fence, that way the branch will fall in the yard and miss the fence.

cut the underside of the branch 1/4 of the thickness, then cut the topside of the branch.
WARNING◄█►◄█►
the branch WILL SPRING UPWARDS when the weight is removed.

best and safest is to hire a licensed and insured tree service
"let the machines do the work"

bryan9915

I have a pole saw and planed to lighten the load but unfortunately it is not going to reach much.  And it is only and 8in saw, so it is too small to use on the whole limb just over the fence, which is to high at that point to reach without a latter and I am not comfortable with that.

Thanks for the advice guys.

runmca

echoing what others said, if unsure, hire a licensed and insured pro.

disclaimer - I've seen this method used once on a heavy leaner, but haven't tried it myself yet.

At the base make your notch in the direction of the lean. First, start your top notch cut, make this cut slowly and keep an eye on the kerf, as soon as it begins to close stop cutting. Next, pull the saw out and make your bottom notch cut. Now begin to slowly shave off the back of the notch while keeping an eye on the end of the limb (or better yet have someone else), as soon as it begins to move, safely move away and wait, gravity will take over and it SHOULD fall with control... Better yet, call a pro  :)

Be safe!

Hilltop366

I'd be tempted to cut a chunk out of the fence and splice it back together after the offending tree parts are removed.

PNWRusty

Before you cut it you might want to watch a good DIY tree cutting instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZkR6UVegY

Very informative!

DDW_OR

Quote from: PNWRusty on July 22, 2017, 11:33:25 AM
Before you cut it you might want to watch a good DIY tree cutting instructional video:

Very informative!

yep, excellent video of why most people should hire a licensed and insured pro

i think houses are magnets for falling trees
"let the machines do the work"

NWP

If you could get a bucket truck or small aerial lift in to it, that would be about a 20 minute job to have it safely on the ground. You can rent the towable lifts at a lot of different rental places.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!