iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally starting a Solar Kiln

Started by vfauto, July 19, 2017, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Don't you think the matching barn, house and kiln is a little over the top? :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen a lot of solar kilns since I worked on the first one in 1961.  This one is the best I have seen.  Congrats.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Savannahdan

Now he needs to turn the barn and house same as the kiln.  :D  How much variation can one have on the angle of the roof?  I'm at 32 latitude, is it beneficial for me to have a 45 degree angle or should I stick with 32-37 or so?
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Crusarius

I was thinking about making a shed with trailer jacks to angle it for the time if year :)

samandothers

Great job and fantastic looking!

Thanks for documenting!

fishfighter

Any updates on how your kiln is working?

mike_belben

There was a guy in sixteen acres off parker street who had a mountain of blow in insulation he was giving away for free but i cant think of the street he was on for the life of me.  Check craigslist and freecycle.. Used loose blow in has no resale value but it sure does insulate.
Praise The Lord

vfauto

Tried to add video of curtain in action but could not get it to post. pc_smiley

https://youtu.be/6NmBFc0glR8

https://youtu.be/TVIxVFJz_J8

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

That kiln looks better than half the houses around here.  Great job.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PC-Urban-Sawyer

To post a video on the Forestry Forum you must first upload the video to YouTube and then post a link to the video in your post on the Forum.

You use YouTube to host the video because the Forestry Forum does not have enough data storage space to keep all the videos...

Herb

thecfarm

That looks nice. In fact,your whole place looks nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stanwelch

Very nice indeed!!   8) Thanks for documenting your build.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

vfauto

A few more pics of the final build.

https://youtu.be/UzQQyjVeN4k
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

YellowHammer

Fine build.  You know, once you start using it, it will never look new again! :D

Do you have a load of wood to put in it?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!