iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally starting a Solar Kiln

Started by vfauto, July 19, 2017, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

Attached is a picture of the floor upside down because I was going to have it spray foamed until I got the cost. Now I am thinking of putting blown in insulation and sealing the bottom with corrugated metal.Any thoughts would be great.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Crusarius

I would think pink stuff and plywood would be the best option for that. Could always do 2" thick foam but the pink stuff be quite a bit cheaper.

btulloh

I used the pink stuff and plywood.  Some people use rat wire, but I had some extra plywood and nothing can get in to live there.
HM126

Kbeitz

Make sure you make it mouse proof or they will take your insulation  away.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

vfauto

I am worried the ply wood will rot
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

btulloh

It was pt plywood.

Seems like corrugated metal would be fine. Lack of permeability could be a problem though. One of the experts should be along to comment on that though.  It should be able to breathe at the ends, so perhaps that takes care of it. 

I'm just bumbling along here. Like most people, I try to use some of the stuff I have laying around when I can and not compromise the critical areas in the process.
HM126

fishfighter

If you use tin, get some steel wool and stuff it in the ends. That should keep small rats out along with snakes. I would just use some R30 batts. That should do the trick.

WDH

I used fiberglass insulation to fill the floor joist bays and topped it off with the 2" rigid foam insulation.  The floor bottom is pressure treated 1/2 plywood.  The top was sealed with a polyethylene vapor barrier and topped with pressure treated 1/2" plywood.  Has worked great for my Nyle L53 dehumidification kiln. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

HM126

DDW_OR

i think these are the photos

"let the machines do the work"

vfauto

Those are the photos, thank you, how did you get them up and what is the proper procedure for putting pictures on this forum,it is a pain in the butt !

Quote from: DDW_OR on August 12, 2017, 03:32:59 PM
i think these are the photos

btulloh

In the list of forums, go all the way to the bottom to FORUM HELP, HOW TO POST PHOTOS.  Good info.

You're not the first one to find the photo thing to be a little awkward, but it's not bad when you get over the initial learning curve.  Whether is it's awkward or not, well, no big deal.  Everybody goes through it at first.  One thing I've noticed though is that pictures stay visible on this forum, which is a good thing.  I look at a lot of other forums where the pictures disappear pretty quickly.  So all-in-all, I'd say this is a good system once you get used to it.

Those are interesting piers.  Did you cast them yourself?  They look like the height is adjustable after the fact.  Cool.
HM126

vfauto

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

btulloh

Looks good.  That 2x6 framing will give you room for some good insulation.
HM126

vfauto

Just a few more pictures of today's progress

btulloh

I like the extra width.  It looks like you added three feet between the north wall and the sloped roof. 
HM126

vfauto

The total foot print is 8'x14'.We needed the ridge to be located there to achieve the 45 degree pitch and 32" south wall.

barbender

Looks really good! Lord willing that I ever get time to build a kiln, my plan is to use pink foam board in the floor. What I have found to work really well is the adjustable spray foam dispensers. I used wood I joists in our house, and it was a bit tricky to insulate the rim joist with the I profile meeting it. So I cut foam board to shape, about 1/2" undersize all around, and then went around with the spray foam. With the adjustable tip, it meters really well to where it's almost like welding. The other nice thing is you can leave the gun and come back to it the next day, or month, and start spraying foam again, unlike the disposable cans that once you use some, you have to use it all or it hardens in the dispenser. Anyhow, I plan on putting board between the joists and sealing the perimeter with spray foam.
Too many irons in the fire

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen lots of design modifications of the original VT kiln (1978) and many ideas were good.  Your design changes are awesome indeed.  Thanks for thinking and sharing.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

vfauto

Today's progress!
Not sure why some of these pictures  are distorted .

Darrel

I have no idea why but when I am using my iPad, I tap on the distorted ones and they undistort, I tap on them again and they redistort. Are "undistort" and "redistort" words? 

They are now!  :D :laugh:
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

vfauto

vfauto

Here is a update on kiln!  If pictures are distorted click on them and they will repair of themselves. 

Thank You Sponsors!