iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally starting a Solar Kiln

Started by vfauto, July 19, 2017, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

Attached is a picture of the floor upside down because I was going to have it spray foamed until I got the cost. Now I am thinking of putting blown in insulation and sealing the bottom with corrugated metal.Any thoughts would be great.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Crusarius

I would think pink stuff and plywood would be the best option for that. Could always do 2" thick foam but the pink stuff be quite a bit cheaper.

btulloh

I used the pink stuff and plywood.  Some people use rat wire, but I had some extra plywood and nothing can get in to live there.
HM126

Kbeitz

Make sure you make it mouse proof or they will take your insulation  away.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

vfauto

I am worried the ply wood will rot
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

btulloh

It was pt plywood.

Seems like corrugated metal would be fine. Lack of permeability could be a problem though. One of the experts should be along to comment on that though.  It should be able to breathe at the ends, so perhaps that takes care of it. 

I'm just bumbling along here. Like most people, I try to use some of the stuff I have laying around when I can and not compromise the critical areas in the process.
HM126

fishfighter

If you use tin, get some steel wool and stuff it in the ends. That should keep small rats out along with snakes. I would just use some R30 batts. That should do the trick.

WDH

I used fiberglass insulation to fill the floor joist bays and topped it off with the 2" rigid foam insulation.  The floor bottom is pressure treated 1/2 plywood.  The top was sealed with a polyethylene vapor barrier and topped with pressure treated 1/2" plywood.  Has worked great for my Nyle L53 dehumidification kiln. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

HM126

DDW_OR

i think these are the photos

"let the machines do the work"

vfauto

Those are the photos, thank you, how did you get them up and what is the proper procedure for putting pictures on this forum,it is a pain in the butt !

Quote from: DDW_OR on August 12, 2017, 03:32:59 PM
i think these are the photos

btulloh

In the list of forums, go all the way to the bottom to FORUM HELP, HOW TO POST PHOTOS.  Good info.

You're not the first one to find the photo thing to be a little awkward, but it's not bad when you get over the initial learning curve.  Whether is it's awkward or not, well, no big deal.  Everybody goes through it at first.  One thing I've noticed though is that pictures stay visible on this forum, which is a good thing.  I look at a lot of other forums where the pictures disappear pretty quickly.  So all-in-all, I'd say this is a good system once you get used to it.

Those are interesting piers.  Did you cast them yourself?  They look like the height is adjustable after the fact.  Cool.
HM126

vfauto

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

btulloh

Looks good.  That 2x6 framing will give you room for some good insulation.
HM126

vfauto

Just a few more pictures of today's progress

btulloh

I like the extra width.  It looks like you added three feet between the north wall and the sloped roof. 
HM126

vfauto

The total foot print is 8'x14'.We needed the ridge to be located there to achieve the 45 degree pitch and 32" south wall.

barbender

Looks really good! Lord willing that I ever get time to build a kiln, my plan is to use pink foam board in the floor. What I have found to work really well is the adjustable spray foam dispensers. I used wood I joists in our house, and it was a bit tricky to insulate the rim joist with the I profile meeting it. So I cut foam board to shape, about 1/2" undersize all around, and then went around with the spray foam. With the adjustable tip, it meters really well to where it's almost like welding. The other nice thing is you can leave the gun and come back to it the next day, or month, and start spraying foam again, unlike the disposable cans that once you use some, you have to use it all or it hardens in the dispenser. Anyhow, I plan on putting board between the joists and sealing the perimeter with spray foam.
Too many irons in the fire

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen lots of design modifications of the original VT kiln (1978) and many ideas were good.  Your design changes are awesome indeed.  Thanks for thinking and sharing.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

vfauto

Today's progress!
Not sure why some of these pictures  are distorted .

Darrel

I have no idea why but when I am using my iPad, I tap on the distorted ones and they undistort, I tap on them again and they redistort. Are "undistort" and "redistort" words? 

They are now!  :D :laugh:
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

vfauto

vfauto

Here is a update on kiln!  If pictures are distorted click on them and they will repair of themselves. 

DDW_OR

How are you going to load the lumber?
assume pallet forks. if so then you will need to make the ground in front of the doors level.

in this picture the ground on the left is lower than the ground on the right
this will cause the lumber being loaded to be sloped when loaded.

and maybe a mirror or wireless camera to see how the position of the load is as it is being loaded

"let the machines do the work"

samandothers

Looks great.  If you get chance can you post what the hinges look like on inside of door?
Thanks

vfauto

The hinges are not on the inside????

samandothers

Sorry I was not very clear.  How are the hinges anchored on the inside.  You built up/backed under the hinge on the outside but on the inside of the door and kiln did you add a backing board?

vfauto

Door side has blocking and threw bolts, post side has 4.5 inch lags.

samandothers

D6c

Looks great....I like your roof design.  I need to find time to build one myself.

vfauto

Some progress  8)

fishfighter

What kind of paint you used? Looks great.

vfauto

Behr porch and floor flat black because regular paint can that be put on the horizontal surface  and this is a very durable paint

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

btulloh

Looking really good.  Any progress lately?  I'm looking forward to see some of your details for the rest of the build.  I really like what you've done so far.
HM126

vfauto

btulloh

Looking good. Almost ready for a load of lumber.  You do nice work.

I can't really see in the picture, but it doesn't look like any blocking between the rafters where the fans are mounted. That needs to be sealed off to create the plenum effect for air flow through the stack.  Just an observation.
HM126

btulloh

HM126

vfauto

fishfighter

Info on those poly sheets? From Home Depot? Looking real nice. ;D

vfauto

I ordered them from a greenhouse supply co.,home Depot did not have the proper length.

vfauto

Tried to finish siding today but tired!

Savannahdan

That's nice looking.  You'll have to shoot us some pictures of the inside.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Crusarius

I really like how that came out. Just one question. When you have a load of wood in it will the man door still open?

vfauto

Depending on the size of the load.The longer the load the less the door will open. Seemed to be the best option at the time.If I did it again I would build a custom door that opens out?

Crusarius

you can flip it around. Just means the finish trim will be on the outside instead of inside. or the other way around

vfauto

Finally exterior complete. 

Florida boy

This an excellent build, top quality job! You have raised the bar in this one.

Crusarius

Don't you think the matching barn, house and kiln is a little over the top? :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have seen a lot of solar kilns since I worked on the first one in 1961.  This one is the best I have seen.  Congrats.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Savannahdan

Now he needs to turn the barn and house same as the kiln.  :D  How much variation can one have on the angle of the roof?  I'm at 32 latitude, is it beneficial for me to have a 45 degree angle or should I stick with 32-37 or so?
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Crusarius

I was thinking about making a shed with trailer jacks to angle it for the time if year :)

samandothers

Great job and fantastic looking!

Thanks for documenting!

fishfighter

Any updates on how your kiln is working?

mike_belben

There was a guy in sixteen acres off parker street who had a mountain of blow in insulation he was giving away for free but i cant think of the street he was on for the life of me.  Check craigslist and freecycle.. Used loose blow in has no resale value but it sure does insulate.
Praise The Lord

vfauto

Tried to add video of curtain in action but could not get it to post. pc_smiley

https://youtu.be/6NmBFc0glR8

https://youtu.be/TVIxVFJz_J8

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

YellowHammer

That kiln looks better than half the houses around here.  Great job.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

To post a video on the Forestry Forum you must first upload the video to YouTube and then post a link to the video in your post on the Forum.

You use YouTube to host the video because the Forestry Forum does not have enough data storage space to keep all the videos...

Herb

thecfarm

That looks nice. In fact,your whole place looks nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stanwelch

Very nice indeed!!   8) Thanks for documenting your build.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

vfauto

A few more pics of the final build.

https://youtu.be/UzQQyjVeN4k

YellowHammer

Fine build.  You know, once you start using it, it will never look new again! :D

Do you have a load of wood to put in it?
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!