iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finish for wood drink coasters

Started by Downstream, July 17, 2017, 10:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I have made a jig to slice limb cookies to make wood drink coasters on my band saw so now I have to decide what type of finish to apply, if any.  Seems to be a number of things people have tried but curious to what anyone on this board as had good or bad luck with.  Looking for simple if possible in case I need to do many at a time.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

tule peak timber

We use epoxy on similar projects with great success. It is  more of an "in " the wood finish than an "on " the wood finish.2-K poly may be added on top of the epoxy , but probably is not needed. Attached is a pic of some cookies in the shop right now using this "in" the wood method. End grain doesn't like water and this is where the epoxy soaking really shines. A simpler option is to heat beeswax and mineral oil and apply to a warmed cookie so it soaks in.  Cheers  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crusarius

I always love your work. that is beautiful.

bucknwfl

I made some coasters to go with the cypress table. Cut them out of a 4x4 sanded burned an L in them (Angie has to have initials on everything) then just coated with helmsman spar urethane

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Kbeitz

Rubber tool handle coating for the bottom keep them form sliding around.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

racslette

Quote from: bucknwfl on July 17, 2017, 01:57:12 PM
I made some coasters to go with the cypress table. Cut them out of a 4x4 sanded burned an L in them (Angie has to have initials on everything) then just coated with helmsman spar urethane

Thanks

Buck
It sounds like you have created a set of unique and personalized coasters to match your cypress table! The use of a 4x4 wood piece and the burning of an L on each coaster gives them a rustic and individualized touch. Coating the coasters with helmsman spar urethane will help protect them from moisture and give them a durable finish.
Overall, it sounds like you have put a lot of thought and effort into creating these coasters. They will not only be functional but also a great conversation piece when guests come over. Well done!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

i also use minwax spar urethan for flat sawn.  grain end it could work.  depends if these will be used for a long time.

I have done end grain ones, but they are rustic, and left raw.  not really used much.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

I sliced up a bunch of incense cedar limbs. Actually, very dense wood compared to the saw logs. I used epoxy with two coats as it soaked in quite a bit. One side came out pretty good and I stuck thin cork discs to the bad side 😉

I'd post a picture but I'm a bit far from my computer right now.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!