iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have some special nuts

Started by thechknhwk, July 17, 2017, 03:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I have here in my hand some special nuts!

I would like to get them to germinate and grow some trees.  You see these special nuts were harvested from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.  I'm a noob at trying anything like this, so what is my best path towards success?  I attached some gratuitous photos for your enjoyment!

Jefferson's personal copy of the Declaration of independence.

View off the front porch

Sitting room off the main dining room.

Kids at the back entrance overlooking the gardens where my son found the first special nut.  He was about to chuck it when I quickly snagged his arm.

Can't recall what the tag on this monster said, but I had never seen one before.

View up the path leading to the Jefferson cemetery

What's left of the carpenters shop :D

Joiner's shop under some sort of reclamation where they made all the trim, doors, etc..

Info about the wood trades on the plantation

Jefferson grave, interesting that it's an obelisk almost identical the Washington monument.

Cemetery entry gate

Me and my man TJ - he was 6'-4", I am not!

thechknhwk

They're walnuts, no one is interested in some Monticello walnuts?

TKehl

I'm not sure those will be viable.    :(  Typically the walnuts aren't ripe until October.  The ones I've cracked that look like those have had little to no nut, only a papery skin inside the shell like little walnutty mummys. 

Do you want to direct seed in the ground or raise like nursery plants? 

If nursery style, they will probably need some chill hours (winter simulation) in damp sand or peat moss to keep moisture available.  Wet enough to keep moist, but not too much or they will rot. 

Great pictures though. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Don P

I was watching a documentary on Jefferson a week or few ago and learned something that was new to me. As His wife lay dying she had him promise not to remarry, unusual in that she was leaving him with children. He stuck to his word. Sally Hemmings, his mistress for 30 some years after, was his wife's half sister by their father. The two women had been raised in different circumstances to be sure, but in the same household. It shed a somewhat different light on that whole affair.

landscraper

Well I don't know if they will grow or not but if I'd have known you were in Charlottesville I would have come over to meet you!  It's been hot as heck last few weeks, I could have used a reason to take a break.  That goes for anyone who comes through the Charlottesville, VA area.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Thank You Sponsors!