iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where are the Humming Birds?

Started by Chuck White, July 16, 2017, 03:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

We haven't seen a Humming Bird here in about a week!  :-\

We have plenty of feeders out, so that's not the issue!

My FIL&MIL live about 12 miles from me and they don't have any either!   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bucknwfl

Our usual ones are here. They in and out of the flowers and feeders. What we have a lot of right now are wrens there are two nest in the back porch

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

moosehunter

Ours were very late this year but have been to the feeders regularly since.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

breederman

Together we got this !

Chuck White

Wrens are going nuts here, must be starting the second go-around at nesting!   smiley_love

Still, no Humming Birds!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Their numbers are down here this year, last year at this time three feeders were full of them, around twenty or so,, this year not so many, looking at 7 or so right now. We kinda figured that maybe a storm took some out,?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

We had been seeing a lot of them here, maybe as many as 25-30 around the feeders we have up, but we haven't even seen ONE in the past week!

The little ones have hatched out, got their feathers and had been feeding along with their parents!

It just seems very odd that now we don't even see one now!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawguy21

We were wondering the same thing. They were quite busy for a while then disappeared, I thoroughly cleaned and refilled the feeder in case there was something they didn't like. They are back but not in the numbers we were seeing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

Chuck White

I saw ONE (1) yesterday!   ::)

My SIL suggested, maybe because there are so many flowers in bloom now! 

coxy

we always see them on the jewel weed flowers but have not seen any this year   the jap beetles are horrible they are eating every thing including the jewel weed  ??? 

Onthesauk

At our last house, (at the base of the mountains,) they would be there the first part of the summer and then follow the blooms up the mountains.  Then return late summer and spend a month or two at our feeders before they headed south. 

Now at our current house we have fewer of them but they are here year around.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DeerMeadowFarm

We've had the usual amount around all season...?

nativewolf

Quote from: Chuck White on July 16, 2017, 03:18:44 PM
We haven't seen a Humming Bird here in about a week!  :-\

We have plenty of feeders out, so that's not the issue!

My FIL&MIL live about 12 miles from me and they don't have any either!   :-\

At our place in SW VA my parents have 2 feeders out and 2 pairs fighting all the time.  Same as normal I think.
Liking Walnut

grouch

My wife keeps a couple of feeders filled. One hangs within about 5 ft of my favorite place to sit on the porch. She also has a lot of phlox (sp?) in full bloom right now.

I get to see the little birds every day. I also get strafed by them every day, maybe because of my green hat with yellow lettering. They may think I'm a plant in bloom. I try not to flinch when I get that blast of air on my neck and hear that turbo roar by. From their point of view, I'm probably barely faster than a tree.
Find something to do that interests you.

LakeAngler

They do seem to be down in numbers or somewhere other than at my feeders. I have seen only a handful of hummingbirds this season so far.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, LakeAngler!

I've only been seeing one or two a few times through the day!

Before they disappeared, we'd see 10-12 at a time, anytime of the day!

Thank You Sponsors!