iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staining / sealing cedar

Started by arkvet, July 16, 2017, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkvet

I have just finished the exterior of my enormous treehouse. 100% touch cut ERC off my EZ boardwalk jr. Looks fantastic. Being 15' off the ground I've used scaffolding to finish the outside. About half of the 3/4" ERC siding was put up after being stickered for 1 month. The other half was put up green within the past 2-3 weeks. So the siding is essentially 1-2 months off the mill.

I was about to yank down my scaffolding but got to thinking about the eventual need / desire to spray this thing with some stain / dealer to help bring out the natural cedar color and prolong its life.

Given that it's rough cut and 3/4". (Trim is 1 1/8") how much time, if any, should I wait before staining. All the sources I find recommend long wait times that have a lot to do with the boards being planed (mine aren't) and some are even treated.

Just from looking at these boards they appear to be drying extremely fast. I mean it's July in Arkansas. They're getting cooked every day. I will wait as long as I need to but I also don't want to bleach out all the color waiting too long.

Suggestions?

arkvet

Scaffolding is ready to come down.

btulloh

Looks great.  Pretty steep cliff you built on.   ;)
HM126

btulloh

Just kidding of course.  Posting pictures is always a big topic of discussion for new members.  Old members too for that matter.  There's a special section just for picture questions. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some more detailed photos. 
HM126

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The reason for delay is that drier wood,absorbs more stain but only when using a penetrating stain.  Other so called stains actually form a film, so time is not too critical.  But, the time is best said as two months of summer weather, especially with aromatic cedar that is so dry initially.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kbeitz

Penetrating stain the only way to go.
The other stuff is a big waste of time and money...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

arkvet

Thanks all. I definitely want a penetrating stain. I'd like it to look as natural as possible. If I can get a tone that'll put a little bit of that red orange in it and make it look almost wet that would be great. I absolutely hate the thought of painting wood or any coating that leaves a film on top.

Sounds like I should give it another month so that it will absorb the stain well.

Thanks again.

tmbrcruiser

Beautiful tree house, great job. I built my sawmill shed from board and batten cypress. Didn't want to loose the new look of the lumber and used Thompson wood life with UV protection. I didn't think the wood needed the preservative but the UV protection work very well. Hope this idea helps.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

arkvet

Quote from: btulloh on July 16, 2017, 02:51:31 PM
Looks great.  Pretty steep cliff you built on.   ;)

Ahh,  I now see what you were talking about!  The pic was correct orientation from my iphone where I made the post.  If I can edit (rotate) the pic I'd be glad to if someone can point me to the "how to".

Thanks all.

WDH

arkvet,

I rotated the picture for you.  You did a great job on the tree house.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodweasel

Man, that is nice! I forgot what your question was. ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!