The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Considering engine replacement  (Read 2674 times)

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
Re: Considering engine replacement
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 11:27:52 am »
I don't keep ether at my shop. I seen way to many small engines damaged with it.
Instead I keep an old pump oil can filled with gas. Works great for me.
It also works good on wasp nest.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline iffy

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:49 pm »
Once I saw the pin height was a lot different I didn't proceed with weighing.

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning more than I'm teaching
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 05:29:14 am »
I have a friend who is really into John Deere riding mowers and he says he has a Yanmar 3 cylinder water cooled 18 HP engine on one of his Deeres that he will give me. What do you guys think of Yanmars?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, tandem trailer, log arches, trailer, tractor, hammer

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 06:05:30 am »

Great engines that sip fuel, keep in mind it will weigh around 200# more than your old Kohler.   Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 06:44:18 am »
   Great engines that sip fuel, keep in mind it will weigh around 200# more than your old Kohler.   Steve

:o Really? My current Kohler is under 100 lbs. If it is almost 300 lbs, I'll pass.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 07:17:35 am »

My 3 cylinder 29HP Isuzu is right at 300# with the radiator and all of the fluids, I'm thinking that 18HP Yanmar is quite a bit smaller so maybe just over 200#.  You can mount a windup garage door opener on your mill to help lift the extra weight.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline sawmilllawyer

• Ride hard, die free.
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 11:38:06 pm »
Yanmar diesel motors are the standard in the nautical industry, very dependable, durable, long lasting engines. Like said above weight might be an issue. Just my two cents.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 06:52:37 am »
Maybe I misunderstood my friend but I think he said it was a "gas" engine. Looking on Yanmar's site I see they make only diesel.  >:( I'm really not up to more sawmill mods to make a heavy diesel work. I'll stick to gas.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 08:19:27 am »
We run yanmars on spray trucks.  You really got to watch them...they burn so little fuel you will forget to check the tank.. That would be a nice engine to have there Bob.  But i am only a tiny bit from being a hoarder.   Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:22 am »
Yanmar does make some diesel engines that are aluminum. They are in the smaller hp and used on generators water pumps and such. I would check out what he has and it's weight. They are very fuel efficient.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:02 am »
Going from gas to diesel, the real bear is weight, especially with manual mills. I looked at the options, and elected to stay with gas, BUT, there is another option. Gas engines are set up to run way rich for the extra cooling. Kawasaki makes some liquid cooled V twins that almost as frugal on fuel as a diesel and they weigh about the same as a comparable air cooled engine. To go diesel, you will need to address the weight problem. Do a search on "faster up for older woodmizers" Shows how to add some garage door springs to help the up-down mechanics.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline MbfVA

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 11:30:10 am »
 I didn't go back through the thread to see what the original poster's needs were, but given the cost and the weight of a diesel, that's a lot of upfront cost & bother unless the usage is going to be heavy enough, no pun intended, to justify the disadvantages.

One additional feature of any liquid cooled engine, is less noise. The disadvantage is the user has to keep up with antifreeze and associated problems.  If it's  going to be your only diesel engine, there's a new fuel supply to keep up with as well.  Wish we could make this simple for you.

I have no knowledge of modern aluminum diesel engines, certainly there have been improvements, new alloys, etc.,  but I can tell you this: heat and aluminum historically do not play well together in the world of internal combustion . I hope they solved that problem  well enough to stand the rigors of diesel.  My mother had a 1962 Oldsmobile F 85 with an aluminum engine which was a hunk of junk. Left us on the side of the road waiting for emergency service several times before we finally ditched it.  The service manager at the dealership admitted that they had replaced more than one warped block and/or head.

Someone with more knowledge of the mechanical world please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there some problems with the GM diesels of the 1980s related to the materials they were made up?

What happened with the harbor freight option, or am I mixing up my threads?
www.ordinary.com (really)
New & crazy inexperienced, but learning
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo Swing Blade Mill
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
and a few more

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 02:26:42 pm »
I have a friend who is really into John Deere riding mowers and he says he has a Yanmar 3 cylinder water cooled 18 HP engine on one of his Deeres that he will give me. What do you guys think of Yanmars?

Bob

If I could get that engine free it would be going on my mill, putting a torsion type garage door spring on a mill is no big deal and should lift 150# or so.  I put one  my mill, nice and neat.  Diesels sip fuel with very little problems and have way more torque.  I went from a 27HP Kohler to a 29hp Isuzu, the Isuzu uses 1/2 as much fuel and cuts way faster, plus oil changes are 200 hours vs 50 or 100 for a gas motor.  Steve

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:19 pm »
There is only one horsepower rating formula for any internal combustion engine, regardless of the fuel type used.
The only real difference is torque of a diesel engine happens at lower rpms .  Horsepower and torque are directly related.
Diesel engines don't rev up very high, so they make less horsepower on average than gas engines.
Gasoline powered engines in garden tractors typically have peak horsepower at about 3000 rpm and horsepower falls off quickly below that . Diesel engines in our compact tractors typically have their peak horsepower at about 1000-1500 rpm and horsepower stays up throughout most of the rpm range. A diesel engine, however, has a much broader power band.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »
I checked the dry weight on my Kubota engine in my lawn mower and I was surprised to find out it only weighs 169 lbs. That yanmar may not weigh enough to worry about. Find out the model number and get a dry weight on it. Mine is a 3 cylinder 21 hp.

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »
With a little more time on my hands I checked how much the 3 cylinder engines weigh in the John Deere mowers and to my surprise the heaviest one, the 3TN75 weighs 160 lbs. All the rest were lower weights with many weighing less that  125 LBS. With those weights I definitely would go with a diesel especially if it's free. You could even get the electric clutch to run on them.

Offline SineWave

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 07:12:57 am »
I have no knowledge of modern aluminum diesel engines, certainly there have been improvements, new alloys, etc.,  but I can tell you this: heat and aluminum historically do not play well together in the world of internal combustion . I hope they solved that problem  well enough to stand the rigors of diesel.  My mother had a 1962 Oldsmobile F 85 with an aluminum engine which was a hunk of junk. Left us on the side of the road waiting for emergency service several times before we finally ditched it.  The service manager at the dealership admitted that they had replaced more than one warped block and/or head.

Well, lots of Hayabusa riders and F1 drivers would disagree. I think a lot of the kinks have been worked out with aluminum, what with the Nikasil cylinder coatings and whatnot.

One huge advantage of aluminum is that it is waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of cast iron or almost any other material in its thermal conductivity. This is part of what makes it so difficult to weld (you need a large welding power source), but also what makes it good for radiators and for light, high-output engines. It can dump a lot of heat FAST. (You'll realize this if you ever pick up a piece of hot aluminum after welding it.)

You don't want to mis-treat it, though ... it'll still warp like a pretzel and it still gets galvanic corrosion to beat the band, and it's famous for leaving its threads on steel fasteners...but it's not as bad as it used to be in the Corvair days...

Have you boys seen the "race" chainsaws they make out of old aluminum Oldsmobile V-8 engines? 
Now THAT'S a "PREDATOR"!!! smiley_thumbsup_grin

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 03:44:29 pm »
Put a ripping chain on that thing and mount it on an Alaskan chain saw mill and then go to the sawmill shootout!
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 07:31:41 am »
My friend brought his John Deere mower to me to see if the engine would be suitable for my mill. It is long and narrow so it will fit under the hood of a riding lawn mower and it is 9 inches to long to fit on the mill. It is a gasoline Yanmar. Oh well, nice try.

Offline JB Griffin

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 06:22:15 pm »
That may not be a bad option yet, Bob. It very well could be a mich better engine than a kohler ( imo, it wouldn't take much)
2000 LT40HYDD33-RA, '70's era 2500 MF 6000lb A/T forklit, '92 F-250 7.3 idi 4x4, '96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, 350 Husky