iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Day of the Demo - Pictures included

Started by tgalbraith, July 15, 2017, 06:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

Well, the day finally came, and I think the boys enjoyed it. I started out pointing out all the major components of the mill and explained how they worked. I then had a mock up carriage way, head-block and top-dog and a cookie that I made a slab and flitch cut on all four sides and re-attached with a drilled hole and a piece of arrow shaft.  I explained how we would be taking those cuts on the log, turning the flat side down and continuing until we had a cant; then completing the final cuts to get the boards we wanted. They needed two 2x10's and two
4x4 posts to make a road sign for their campground. I then explained "board feet" and showed them how my log scaling stick worked.  After getting them all into a safe viewing area, I cranked up the Oliver and cut log to their
wanted size.

This is where I was showing them how the insert teeth are changed. 

Showing the basic cuts to reduce a log to a cant, using a pre-cut cookie

Running the saw thru--

The final product!!   smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_clapping

A good time was had by all.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

WDH

You never know.  You may have inspired a new sawyer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I bet their Dads were equally impressed.  Its good that you took the time to do that, tgalbraigh. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

slider

al glenn

tgalbraith

tgalbraith

I  guess there is still hope for this world, several of the kids have come up and thanked me at church, for giving the demonstration and providing the material for their sign at the campground. 8) 8)

sublime68charger

Very nice of you to give them Kids a demo of your mill and they now have some usable boards for there camp and when they look at those boards now they will think of how they got made as well!

tgalbraith

Here's a photo of their finished sign 

cutterboy

Those boys looked like they were really paying attention during the demonstration. You did a good job, tgalbraith.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Knute

ToddsPoint

Quote from: WDH on July 15, 2017, 07:52:49 PM
You never know.  You may have inspired a new sawyer.

I took my first walnut log to a demonstration of sorts.  It was a thrasherman's reunion and they had a circle saw set up powered by a steam tractor and a huge belt.  I was impressed.  Got my log sawed and also got the bug.  That was 1985 and I finally took the plunge and got a CSM 6 yrs. ago.  So yes, the OP likely did inspire some young guy who now has thoughts of milling wood.  Gary 
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

thecfarm

I would of been paying attention too!!!!!!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SlowJoeCrow

The lil' man with suspenders already looks like a sawyer!! ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!