iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siding/Shingle attachments

Started by bryantb2, July 15, 2017, 08:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryantb2

I have decided to pull the trigger and purchase a woodmizer lt35 hydraulic. With this saw I want to have the ability to cut siding and shingles. I am trying to figure out if it is worth spending the extra money on the resaw attachment with the shingle belt or just purchase the siding and shingle attachment. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with either option?

paul case

Congrats on the new purchase.
Welcome to the forum.
The shingle maker would need to make you the money back. Do you have a use for a bunch of wood shingles or are they a popular use in your area. Do you have trees that would make good shingles?
It could always be added later.
Lapsiding could be made on the mill without the attachment.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,74481.msg1128940.html#msg1128940

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bryantb2

I will be needing a fair amount of shingles for a cabin project that will be one of my first builds with the new saw. I have an almost endless supply of nice cedar logs to made siding and shingles out of. I was originally planning to purchase the siding/shingle attachment however looking further into the resaw attachment it gives me the ability do it both shingles and siding plus resawing. I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money  which is almost double the cost of the siding /shingle attachment.

GAB

Quote from: bryantb2 on July 15, 2017, 08:58:06 AM
I have decided to pull the trigger and purchase a woodmizer lt35 hydraulic. With this saw I want to have the ability to cut siding and shingles. I am trying to figure out if it is worth spending the extra money on the resaw attachment with the shingle belt or just purchase the siding and shingle attachment. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with either option?

As of today, I have absolutely no experience with the resaw attachment so I can not speak to that.
I do have an SLR and have used it for personal use.  What I dislike about it is that the bottom piece is thick.  I was happy with the shingles I used it for and the veggie stand I used them on both for roofing and siding came out nice.  I used 7" reveal for the roof and 10" reveal for the sides.
NOTE: When using the SLR you have to use two different thickness settings on the computer and must remember to change from one to the other before raising the head.
The probability of hitting an SLR clamp with the blade is very good.  That I can vouch for with experience.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

paul case

Second thought I am certain you can make shingles with wedges the same way a lot of guys make lapsiding. May not be as fast as another gadget, but effective anyway.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

barbender

I was out at the mill scratching my head one day (I think "cogitating" is what DanG calls it) trying to think of a faster way to make shingles on my LT40. I used one of the WM lapsider jigs once many years ago, it works well but it's slow. I was thinking a fixture that would clamp multiple shingle blocks at once, parallel to the blade. Say have 10 blocks on, and have a cam that raises one end of the fixture. Saw through, drop the end. Drop sawhead and repeat. Basically the same process as other jigs but making it so you can raise all the ends at once.
Too many irons in the fire

GAB

Quote from: barbender on July 15, 2017, 09:25:57 PM
I was out at the mill scratching my head one day (I think "cogitating" is what DanG calls it) trying to think of a faster way to make shingles on my LT40. I used one of the WM lapsider jigs once many years ago, it works well but it's slow. I was thinking a fixture that would clamp multiple shingle blocks at once, parallel to the blade. Say have 10 blocks on, and have a cam that raises one end of the fixture. Saw through, drop the end. Drop sawhead and repeat. Basically the same process as other jigs but making it so you can raise all the ends at once.

Please do not keep us in suspense.  What did you come up with?  Did you make some?  How did they look?
My problem with your idea is that I cut my blocks, for making shingles, with a chain saw and then squared them up with the radial arm saw.  I guess I could of used the shingles with the chainsaw cut and called it rustic.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

GAB, unfortunately all I've come up with at this point is some big ideas😊
Too many irons in the fire

GAB

Quote from: barbender on July 16, 2017, 10:39:30 AM
GAB, unfortunately all I've come up with at this point is some big ideas😊

Bummer.
I thunkeded that you might have the solution.
I've had the same thought and I'm still scratching my head, but I need to stop doing that as it is getting thin up there.
Gerald

MbfVA

There are old threads re homemade shingle & siding making jigs that looked interesting, along with commentary abt whether or not to bevel the siding. 

Many advise not buying the Oem stuff.  Ymmv.
www.ordinary.com (really)

goose63

EZ Boardwalk has a 12 foot jig you can get a bunch of 12 x12 blocks in it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!