iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bander... metal or plastic?

Started by nopoint, July 15, 2017, 07:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopoint

Would like to purchase a bander to make moving and loading lumber and slabs easier. What are your thoughts on metal vs plastic banding? The plastic seems like it would be nice for slabs that occasionally get burned or cut up with chain saw. Also less potential for staining lumber... thoughts?

petefrom bearswamp

I use plastic but sometimes break the band when trying to get too tight.
But mine is a cheap HF set
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

drobertson

I used metal, but they will stain the oak, but for slabs they are great, but they dont burn very good.   They say some of the non metallic banding is pretty good stuff, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

We use both at work.  The plastic is cheaper so we use it on everything but slabs. The slabs are sold to the charcoal plant so they get metal.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Kbeitz

There is a clear/yellow plastic for machines that I'm sure you wont brake.
stronger than steel.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ohio_Bill

I use ¾ inch poly cord on slabs and 5/8 poly strapping on lumber. The only reason for the poly strapping is it's cheaper. If you're not doing a lot you could just use the Poly Cord. Got all of mine from Uline.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

paul case

I use this product from uline.com.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3250/Polyester-Strapping/Uline-Polyester-Strapping-5-8-x-035-x-4200-Green

That roll of strapping is $101, the tensioner is $67, the seal crimper is $90, and the box of seals is $92. It is kind of expensive to get started but we use it for everything and only use 2 rolls a year. It stays tight and we do not break one very often. If we only made our bundles for a tractor loader or skid loader we probably wouldnt break any. If we do break one it will usually be on slabs that get one hooked on the door or something to break the band.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Larry

My tools and crimps work equally well on either plastic or steel.  I use plastic 90% of the time.  Sometimes I will put three or even four bands on slabs just to make sure short pieces stay in the bundle.  Two bands on lumber.  I'm a small time hobby sawyer and I'm not slamming bundles around.

The charcoal plant only accepts slabs banded with steel.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bruno of NH

I use the plastic it works good for me and use the buckles .
I don't like metal seen it cut or break and know a guy who put his eye out when a metal band broke.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

You're using the buckles instead of the crimped style?  Do they hold up ok?  What size strapping?
HM126

Ohio_Bill

Here is a homemade holder for the Poly Cord .

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Bruno of NH

The buckles hold great and you can reuse them and pull them back tight if need be.
5/8" from uline
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

I thought I was the only one using buckles.  Looks like a lot of bucklers around.
HM126

paul case

I started off using that poly cord strapping with the buckles. it works ok but I have had some heavy bundles loosen off while hauling them. The neat thing about them is that you dont have to have a special tool to tighten them up on bundles. A 4' 2x6 with 2 saw cuts into it half way across at 6'' and 9'' from one end and you got yourself a tightener.

I built a box that looked like a planter box just as wide as the poly cord spool and a little longer and cut a hole through it for the spool to turn on and throw the buckles in the bottom. a poly cord for a handle and it is portable. I have just such a deal and half a big box of buckles I would let someone have. I probably will never go back.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

YellowHammer

I use the 1/2 inch orange Kubinec strapping and buckles for lighter loads, but I don't like its stretchiness.  I tried it for over the load, but it would let packs get loose. 

I use the heavy duty 5/8" green embossed "lumberyard" banding anytime I'm carrying wood on the road.  The stuff is amazingly strong, and I've never had it break or pull apart, even under circumstances when I expected it to.  I figure its good enough for professional lumberyards, its good enough for me.

I used to use the 1/2 brown plastic crimp packing, and I've had it break before, and it will cut itself on sharp lumber edges, especially oak.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!